• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curtiss prop

Hi Dave

My name is Gary Loffler
    I live just across the Lake Chmplain Pond from you - near Plattsburgh

About 20 years ago I aquired an old wooden prop and would appreciate it if you could give or direct me to further knowledge of it.
    Your website was a lot of help. Some great reading there Thank You

I learned from the Curtiss Museum that the propeller was built in 1919 it is not marked as such.
    Here is the info stamped clearly on it.

drawing 16768 with the no 2 stamped above the 8

dia 80 p 48 even I can figure that out!
    The other blade has written curtiss propellor
    #515 lh mf below the letters mf is a circle stamp that I think says cec

I would assume that the circle stamp is the workers stamp ( I had one like that when i was a kid working for GM making cylinder heads for the Corvair ). So if you ever take apart an old
    corvair and find the no. 72 stamped on it I poured it !

It is left hand but the MF?

Would really like to know what engine and plane it was used on tis a thing of beauty to us old pilots.
    Do you ever give tours of your collection?
    Rutland areas not that far away from me and It certainly would be appreciated.

Thank You
    Gary Loffler
    98 Sand Road
    Morrisonville NY 12962 gjbl@charter.net

Hi Gary,

You're welcome to look at the props any time we can arrange it, which shouldn't be hard. They're not all in "displayed" condition, like a museum. Some are hanging and many are in stacks in my spare living room.

The MF was a modernized version of the Model F and was similar to the HS series of flying boats, which is why it's a left hand rotation (pusher for that engine).

There is info on it in Wikipedia, and I copied this page from Peter Bowers' book, Curtiss Aircraft, 1907 to 1947.
    Attached Files
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave !!!

I,m sure glad I got the - greatly improved model !

Thank You for looking it up.

I would very much like to visit you and see some of the popellers.
      Your phone number is attached to the page 802 773 4131-- is it ok to call you to set up an appointment?
      Gary
      gjbl@charter.net

Comment

Working...
      X