Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Identification please

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me with any ino on my Grandfathers prop.
    He recently passed away and this was left to me.
    He told me it was from a Tigermoth however i have been told that it may be even earlier.

IT IS LARGE AND MEASURES AROUND 8FT 6INCHES LONG WITH THE DIAMETER OF THE CENTRE AT 8 INCHES AND THE BLADE 10 INCHES AT ITS WIDEST POINT. THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE BACK OF THE BOSS IS "N93 G1559"

The clock that is fixed in does not damage the prop in anyway at all just incase anyone wondered

Any help would be great thank you.
    Attached Files

Clock damage.

Hi,

I cant give you any info re identifying the maker or type of aircraft that was fitted with this prop. I can tell you the fitting of the clock has defiantly damaged the hub of the prop.

Regards,

Adrian.

Comment

Hi Adrian, Thanks for the reply.
      Could you tell me how you think the hub has been dammaged please.
      As i have been told by am armorur that the only dammage the prop has is the chip on the right hand blade and that the clock has not affected anything as it was manufactured to fit.
      The reason i ask is that i was thinking of selling it and everything helps for the description.
      Many thanks, Dom

Comment

Dom,

Adrian is correct. Your prop has been considerably damaged by the insertion of the clock. A large square hole has been cut in the centre of the hub and other holes have been made for the mounting brackets which once fastened it to the wall. The blades seem to be in fine condition but the destruction of the hub centre reduces the value of your prop considerably.

It is British and the batch number that you quote (G1559) dates it to early in 1920. There might be other data stamped on the curved sides of the hub. If you can tell us these we might be able to identify what aircraft it came from.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

If that is a right hand prop, it looks as if the hub may have been cut out in the rear of the prop instead of the front. If so, simply turning it around will at least hide the defect. If it's a left hand prop by design, that won't work.

(You can tell the rear of the prop from the front by the curvature, like an airplane wing. The rear surface is flat and the forward surface has a gentle curvature to it.)
          Dave

Comment

Greetings Dave,

I am fairly sure it is a RHT. It might have been cut on both sides of the hub. The prop appears to have an Admiralty shape, although I might well be wrong. That, and the diameter of 2590mm, hint that it might be an example of AD644 for the Sopwith Camel. But it's better to wait and see what drumdom can find.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Many thanks for all the help guys,
              Thanks aswell Bob who i believe has been talkin to my father about the prop as he listed it on eBay.

Thanks again, Dom

Comment

Ay up marrah, as we say in Doncaster,

Good luck with the sale! It wasn't me talking to your Dad.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Prop repair

Hi,

The hub could be repaired and a finish could be "faked", but it would require someone with considerable skills to do it properly. It would always be a repair, but at least it could be hidden if the new owner made a hub or a hub cover plate like the one my friend made for me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Drumdom must have sold his prop because it is now for sale on eBay, 300444272573

It is priced at a hopeful 2250 GBP which some might think to be expensive considering the damage to the hub.

With kind regards to everyone,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Well, I wish him luck.

I think there's a little bit of denial going on, however, by his original statement:

Originally posted by drumdom1 View Post
                      The clock that is fixed in does not damage the prop in anyway at all just incase anyone wondered
                      And then in the eBay listing this little understatement:

"There is slight damage to the prop on the side of the boss, the front face and also on both ends of the blades . . ."
                      Dave

Comment

I agree, although it is not drumdum who is selling it, I hasten to add in case I misled you. Also, I think I was the one who mentioned that it might be a Camel prop, but I merely mentioned that the similar diameter and shape hinted that it might be. I have e-mailed the new seller who confirms that there is no drawing number on the prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                        X