Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Secret WWII Interstate TDR-3 Assault Drone Propeller from Donald Douglas Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Secret WWII Interstate TDR-3 Assault Drone Propeller from Donald Douglas Museum

pg2.jpg

I am selling a large collection of propellers...

This particular propeller was once in the Donald Douglas Museum collection in Santa Monica, California (the original museum tag is still attached). It’s believed that this was sold at auction when the museum moved locations in the late 1980s and became the Museum of Flying. I purchased it from a private party some years ago and have had it in my personal collection since then. I’ve recently decided to let it go

Extremely rare and obscure, this propeller was manufactured specifically for use on a highly top secret assault drone of WWII known as the Interstate TDR-3. (The hub is marked with both the USN Anchor as well as the government contract number for this top secret program.)

Developed as part of an early experimental unmanned aerial assault drone program for the United States Navy, these drones were state of the art at the time and could be flown remotely using a radar altimeter and television! Despite their unassuming appearance, the aircraft were designed to carry payloads of either a 2,000 LB bomb or an aerial torpedo.

While the TDR-3 variants did not see combat, their predecessor, the TDR-1’s were deployed in the Pacific and saw limited action against the Japanese.

Due to the cancellation of the program, only a handful of TDR-3’s were completed (sources put that number somewhere between 3 and 17).

Some fun additional information about this aircraft is that it was constructed from parts manufactured by companies such as Wurlitzer and Schwinn.

This would make a great addition to any dronehead, militaria/WWII or aviation enthusiast’s collection.

Propeller Specifications: ~87.5" long

Asking $2500 OBO

There are more photos in the gallery below, but if you need more please feel welcome to contact me.

✨Feel welcome to contact me with questions - thanks for your time and for looking!✨

Shipping: (Domestic and International)
    Happy to discuss shipping with you if you're not located near Los Angeles, California. I have worked with many different shippers and private shipping services (happy to work to help get a shipping quote). If you have a preferred service, I’m happy to work with yours (booked by you) - OR - local pick-up welcome in Southern California, 91752. Also, happy to discuss local delivery to one of the nearby airports ( CNO, RIR, ONT, etc).

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.
Working...
X