Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Curtiss Jenny prop, circa 1918-19, JN-4 era

Hello

By day I'm a Patent Attorney, but as a hobby I've written a book about the Jenny, using about 100 never-before published vintage photos of a flying school in 1919 of a fellow learning to fly. This has sparked an intense interest in the Jenny in me. Right now I'd love to buy a prop from a Jenny of that era.

If anyone has one for sale, please send a photo and price to me at bollman@mdslaw.com

Thanks!
    Bill

I'm interested in your book. Would you please post details on how a copy may be acquired? Thank you.

Lamar

Comment

Hi Lamar

Thanks for the question about the book. I think it's a pretty sweet book (but I'm biased.) I'm in the process of finding a publisher for it, so it's not available yet. If I can't find a publisher, I'll self-publish, but I'd rather not.

The book explores a fellow's amateur vintage photo album (Edward O. Southard) from 1919. He took lots of photos of his training at March Field in Riverside California. The story of the photos is told by excerpts of letters from William Russel while he was at flying school in Illinois. The two fit together real, real nicely, and tell a fun story (and show) just what it was like to learn to fly in a Jenny - at a time when most people hadn't even seen a plane close up. Lots of crashes shown. I can't imagine hanging out of an open-air bi-plane with a Kodak No. 2 box camera to take some of the photos, but that's what he did! Fun stuff!

I've also attached an image of Edward in front of one of the Jenny's during his training. That's the WOODEN PROPELLER that I'd love to find. Or really, any original Jenny related part would be fun.

Lamar, Email your address directly to me at bollman@mdslaw.com, and I'll print out a copy of the manuscript. If you like it, maybe you can post on this string and help start some buzz!

Thanks again,
      Bill
      Washington, DC

I've attached a moccover from the book
      Attached Files

Comment

In the footsteps of giants…

I received a copy as promised and I could hardly wait to read it. I was certainly not disappointed. It’s an excellent combination of high quality photography (considering the era) and first-person narrative of the experience of learning to fly in the Curtiss Jenny. The time period begins in the year 1919 as the title states. I found the book engrossing. I could hardly put it down. Although I’m an avid aircraft history book reader I’ve not encountered anything like it before. It’s not published yet but when you can get a copy I highly recommend it. Thank you Bill for a job very well done.

Lamar

Comment

Okay, count me in......

Come on Lamar and Bill,

Quit keeping this little, editorial gem to yourselves. I want, I want too.........
          I am building a reproduction Jenny right now and would love to see and or have a copy at full retail cost. Bill, let me have one too.

I'm also looking for the real prop from a JN-4, in any condition; or, a new prop blank of similar size to the original that I can stain and put in the corner of the office..........any ideas, or outlets?

Sid Hausding
          2140 So. Third Ave.
          Alpena, Michigan 49707
          989-356-0048
          avidsid@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by hausding View Post
            Come on Lamar and Bill,

Quit keeping this little, editorial gem to yourselves. I want, I want too.........
            I am building a reproduction Jenny right now and would love to see and or have a copy at full retail cost. Bill, let me have one too.

I'm also looking for the real prop from a JN-4, in any condition; or, a new prop blank of similar size to the original that I can stain and put in the corner of the office..........any ideas, or outlets?

Sid Hausding
            2140 So. Third Ave.
            Alpena, Michigan 49707
            989-356-0048
            avidsid@yahoo.com
            Want to sell:
            JN-4 prop in good condition. Reasonable offer accepted.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

I just know I can't afford the "real deal". I am building a 2/3 reproduction Early Bird Jenny and don't need the full size authentic prop. I would like to have one for a keep sake, but know I can't afford the real antique........

My original message doesn't look like what I thought I had written. I am looking for a wooden prop for my 1.0 Geo Metro auto conversion engine? 72" X something........

Comment

Originally posted by bobinarkansas View Post
                Want to sell:
                JN-4 prop in good condition. Reasonable offer accepted.
                Can you post a photo of the hub with the metal plate removed? If the hub has been carved out for a clock or something it really affects the value.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  Can you post a photo of the hub with the metal plate removed? If the hub has been carved out for a clock or something it really affects the value.
                  It's pretty much in the same condition as it was when it was taken off a Jenny I'd suspect. No holes drilled in it other than the ones done at the factory.
                  The Paragon decals are not there, perhaps deteriorated and taken off by someone in the past, but there's been no alteration to the propeller that I can see. Someone who knows what they're doing could clean this thing up and perhaps put a coat of something on it to shine it a bit, and it would be spectacular on a den wall. I am a retired military pilot, and am downsizing some of my "hero wall" and flying stuff that won't mean much to anyone after my passing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

New Book: 1919 Learning To Fly in a Jenny, Just Like LINDBERGH & EARHART

The book with original vintage photos of a fellow learning to fly a JENNY in 1919 is now PUBLISHED via Kindle. For a mere $2.99, if you have a Kindle, or even just a free kindle application on an iPad, iPhone, or PC, you can download the book, read the story, and view all the fantastic original photos. It's called "1919 Learning to Fly in a "Jenny," Just Like Charles A. Lindbergh & Amelia Earhart" by William Bollman. Check it out!
                    http://www.amazon.com/1919-Learning-...8949107&sr=8-2

I hope you enjoy the trip back to 1919...

Best regards,
                    William Bollman

Comment

Kindle reading........

And a big Thank You William.

I had downloaded the Kindle for PC two weeks ago and now have two books to read..........this being my favorite already.
                      I'm building a Wiley Jenny right now and anything Curtis Jenny is right at the top of my interest list........thanks again for telling us about this.

Sid
                      Alpena, Mi

Comment

Bob, do you still have propeller? How much? Design@planepieces.com

Comment

The book "1919: Learning to Fly in a JENNY" by WILLIAM BOLLMAN, with a FOREWORD by CHUCK YEAGER, is now PUBLISHED in book form, available from Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and many other online bookstores!

http://www.amazon.com/1919-Learning-...illiam+bollman

Comment

Working...
                          X