Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
How lovely to see a Jacuzzi prop go back to the family that made it. I've only achieved this twice in the last fifteen years, to AVRO in Britain and Ebora in the Netherlands.

With regards to everyone,
It does happen. I sold a Jacuzzi prop way back to Remo Jacuzzi, whom I supect that pvjacuzzi knows of, and I sold a very old Flottorp prop to a descendent of Ole Flottorp.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
hazlewood45

Default Jacuzi Propeller

I have a Jacuzzi Propeller. It has a stamp or burned in Oval with Hall scott Motors in the oval. It has another stamp or burn Jacuzzie Bros
Berkley Cal
The number is 1358 next to the stamps.on 1 blade
The other blade has a number 10004 RH under that is 8' 4" and looks like 725 unreadable. under that is a square stamp with the letter A
the prop has copper on both blade tips. the prop is a flat blade prop
I don't know what type of aircraft its from does anyone know.
Ted Hazlewood
Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #13
pvjacuzzi

Default Re: Jacuzzi Propeller History

Hi Ted:

My name is Paul Jacuzzi, a grandson of one of the original Jacuzzi brothers that emigrated to America, eventually to found Jacuzzi Bros. Inc. I have a small collection of Jacuzzi propellers and, along with my daughter who is enrolled in a Commercial Aviation program in a Canadian university, have an interest in our family's early aviation business. The only remaining evidence of the early years are a few propellers, of which you have one.

The first of these propellers were likely produced in late 1914 or early 1915. All of what is known of this period were recollections from elderly family members that were collected by some family members, two of whom eventually published books that recorded our family history. The corporate records of propeller production and serial numbers have been lost, probably destroyed after the company abandoned the business in the early 1920's. A few interesting photgraphs of that era survived in the form of negatives that turned up in the 1970's. I saw them on at least one occasion and they were most remarkable.

After I read your note I looked up what I had in my notes on the Hal Scott Motor Company. It seems that my great uncle formed a development partnership with a company principal in 1915 and produced a number of propellers for them until they eventually phased out of the propeller business in 1920, when they formally incorporated and concentrated on production of prototype aircraft. From approximately 1918 to 1920, Jacuzzi Bros were the sole supplier of propellers to Hal Scott so it most likely was produced in that timeframe. It may have been earlier, though the "Jacuzzi Bros" stamp and the reference to "Berkeley Ca" formally on the hub indicates it came from a later production period. I have a very early propeller, likely from 1915 or 1916, that is merely marked "Jacuzzi" and is not one of the more sculpted or elegant designs that emerged in later models.

This early propeller has an "N163" mark that seems to resemble the "A237" code that yours has, though this may only be a coincidence. My later propeller has "Jacuzzi Bros Berkeley Ca" stamped in it, consistent with yours. Dave or Bob will best be able to decipher the other markings, though I believe that "RH" will designate the rotation and "8' 4"" will be the overall length.

I am afraid that I am unable to comment on what kind of aircraft that this may have been operated with.

I would be delighted if you could forward some photographs of your propeller to my email address (pvjacuzzi@waterite.com). I would also be interested to know how you came into possession of the prop and if you have any knowledge of its history.

If you have an interest in selling this propeller, I would be interested in discussing this with you.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul Jacuzzi
Winnipeg, MB
Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjacuzzi View Post

This early propeller has an "N163" mark that seems to resemble the "A237" code that yours has, though this may only be a coincidence. My later propeller has "Jacuzzi Bros Berkeley Ca" stamped in it, consistent with yours. Dave or Bob will best be able to decipher the other markings, though I believe that "RH" will designate the rotation and "8' 4"" will be the overall length.
You are correct about the RH and 8'4", and as you note the list of drawing numbers seems to be non-existent. It's almost impossible to know what aircraft it was used for, particularly since the propeller is more specific to the engine and may even have been applicable to several different aircraft types.

One of the common uses of the Hall Scott A7A engine was the Standard J1, very similar in appearance to the Curtiss JN4 which used an OX5 (or Hisso) engine instead. You can certainly confirm that it was likely for the Hall Scott by measuring the bolt hole circle diameter on the hub. For the Hall Scott, all the hole centers will sit on a circle with a 6 inch diameter, where the OX5 will be 5 1/4 inches.

Last edited by Dave; 03-06-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
montythemule

Default Jacuzzi Propeller for Loughead (Lockheed) S1

I have a Jacuzzi Propeller from 1919 that was used for an experimental Loughead XL-1 engine. The XL-1 engine was 25hp and used in the Loughead S-1 Sport Biplane. The XL1 is the ONLY engine that Loughead ever built. This propeller is likely one of a kind. The Engine was donated to the Hiller Aviation Museum where it is today. the prop is on my wall. I'll post photos if anyone would like to see it

Cheers
Monty
montythemule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
pvjacuzzi

Default Jacuzzi Propeller/Loughead XL-1

Hi Monty:

It sounds like you have an interesting propeller with a very interesting history. Please post some photos of it - I would really like to see it!

How did you come to own this engine and propeller? Are you familiar with the previous owners? Where is the propeller located?

Paul
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
montythemule

We did Lockheed Aviation History work. We knew Allen Lockheed Jr., Tony Stadleman, Gilbert Budwig and Jack Northrup personally, the story goes like this.

After the Loughead Brothers ran ouit of money they used the engine and propeller for collateral. It was given to an investor in the East Bay (Hayward). It sat in this investors garage until he passed away. the heirs called Lockheed and offered the engine to them and THEY WEREN'T INTERESTED! they referred them to us and offered us the engine and prop for free, so we took a little drive across the bay and retrieved it. It sat in our hangar since the mid 1970s. In 1985 we had Ole' Fahlin assess the propeller and he repaired a crack in one blade.
In 2001 I donated the engine to the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos. The restored engine is on display but has a replica prop. They used to original prop as a pattern so its as good a replica as can be made. I have the original propeller proudly displayed on my wall. I'll send some pictures or upload them here
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
montythemule

Regarding the Jacuzzi prop on the experimental Loughead XL1 engine:
Here is a a link to the history of the S1 airplane with photos of the prop mounted on the engine and airplane.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/a...t-1972-AAM.htm

{might have to paste that into the browser)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #19
pvjacuzzi

Default Jacuzzi Propeller/Loughead XL-1

That is a great story and offers a little more information on our family business at that time. A few more pieces of the puzzle that help us document a period that, for the most part, had been forgotten.

If you are able, please post some photos of the original propeller and in particular, the markings on the prop hub. As you probably gathered from previous comments, the production records were lost many years ago - I have been documenting various hub codes, markings and serial numbers on known remaining propellers.

My email is pvjacuzzi@waterite.com.