Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Tammy

Default Identification of Propeller

I have a propellar that my husband found underneath an old house. It is approximately 8ft tall, wooden, with the edges and tips capped with metal. It has 8 holes in the center. You can make out 2 of the numbers beneath the holes in the center- 8 and 2. Then on one of the props there is some lettering and the only letters you can make out is SHO. The coloring of the letters is gold with black background. If there is anyone who might have a clue as to what type of propellar this please help.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Dave

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of possibilities.

A picture might help. Are you referring to a decal that's visible?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Tammy

Default Identification of Decal on Propeller

There is a partial decal that is visible on the prop. I know that I may be grasping at straws trying to identify this propeller. I'm not able to have a picture at this time, but like I said if there is any way of knowing what type of decal this may be on there it might give me a start somewhere. Like I said yesterday, it is gold/yellow lettering with a black background and the three letters that are on there is-SHO-and I'm not completely sure of the order of the lettering, so it could be OSH. But any type of help would be wonderful. I've googled several sites and this one has seemed to help me more than the others. There are several pics that I have seen that look similar to this one, but the decals don't match. So if you could help I would greatly appreciate it, or if you could direct me to somewhere I might be able to start searching would be great. Thanks!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Dave

A long shot, but could it be "Shoninger"? Here's a decal from one.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Tammy

Thanks!!! That helps a lot. If you come across anymore information or know anyone I can contact please let know. Again thank you for all the help.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Dave

Tammy, if you can get a picture of the decals, it's easy to post them here as attachments. We might be able to recognize and match the original.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Tammy

These are the photos that I have. You can make out the numbering now on the center-N482-that is all we could see on it. I don't know if you can see the lettering, but it appears that the decal was oval in shape. I hope these can help. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91570002.jpg (14.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 91570003.jpg (6.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 91570001.jpg (14.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 91570004.jpg (10.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
MWP_Lamar

The usual placement of decals is on the broad face of the blade, parallel to the axis so it can be read from the front of the plane. Since this decal is close to the hub and perpendicular to the axis I wonder if it didn't say something like "Re-certified by you friendly local prop SHOp"?

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Dave

I wondered the same thing.

Either way, I don't think what's there helps much with trying to identify it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Tammy

Well, I wasn't sure if this was a replica or what. Is there anyway of researching by the numbers? If not thanks for the help anyway.