Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Design and Manufacturing > Manufacturers

Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
pringletx

I also have a Gardner propeller for sale, and would be interested in offering if anyone is interested. It has the original finish and decals on it that say "Chicago Propeller', but I don't see any serial number. Can someone help with with where the location might be? Thank you.
pringletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
vintagemuseum

We are a Museum in Northern Illinois and just received as a donation a wooden propeller with a decal that reads: Chicago Propellers - W.M.H Gardner
The donor said he got it in 1948 - it was being disposed of and it was given to him instead of junked. He thought it might have been on a PT-19, but not sure. Forest Park, ILL still legible in center of decal. Hub has 8 bolt holes. Any idea where I would find a serial number if still on there? It's quite dirty and needs to be cleaned up. Any other information would be useful. Thanks. Judi. Poplar Grove Vintae Wings & Wheels Museum.
vintagemuseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Dave

I think Gardner stamped their drawing numbers on the hub itself, like many manufacturers. I'm not sure about "Chicago Propellers", i.e. whether it came before or after "Gardner Propellers".

When you get it cleaned up can you post a photo of it and a close-up of the decals?

Here's the list of known Gardner design numbers.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
vintagemuseum

It is 8 feet long - has the scalloped reinforcements on the outside edges as seen in your photo. I'll get photos when cleaned up. the decal DEFINITELY reads at the top Chicago Propellers and at the bottom W.M.H Propellers, ... and I think it reads LtD... need to clean that up. I wonder if the metal hub is a later add-on. I can find no numbers on it. Metal sleeve goes through center of hub, 8 holes and 8 bolts with clevis pins.
Judi
vintagemuseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Dave

Clevis pins would be a little unusual, but the rest sounds like an older model Gardner propeller, perhaps from very early in the company's history.

A picture here might help. I'm not sure what makes you wonder if the hub is an add-on.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
lls803

I have a Gardner Prop #1521-3610. It measures 90" and has the metal hub and 8 bolts intact. I have been trying to find out more information about it.

Linda
lls803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
justnicestuff

Default i just purchased a vintage Gardner propeller...

and i LOVE IT...

here is a link to the photos --- http://1drv.ms/1pSOi64
i will hang it (MOST PROUDLY) on my living room wall...

its worn, torn and patina'd(???), which makes me love it even MORE...

thanks for the forum opportunity to explore these vintage works of functional art...

1919(?) Gardner Wooden Airplane Propeller...

Built in Forest Park Illinois right around 1920...

click here for photos:

cracked in both blades, but this prop has GREAT PATINA...

another one for the "record books" of aviation history...

i have NO IDEA what the stamped letters and digits represent, but
there are A LOT of them...

justnicestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #18
Dave

The links to photos don't work for me.

What are the numbers stamped on it?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
killerfiction

Hi, I'm about to return my father's Gardner prop to him, (he got it from my grandfather, who worked for the Stinson Aircraft Co. at one time) after cleaning it lightly and getting a display stand for it. Its numbers are: DES: 491 (which I believe means that it was used on a Continental 75 HP engine); Ser: 9851, and A.T.C. 710. Any other information that anyone may have would be appreciated, as I would like to conjure up a small brass plate for the stand with some provenance written thereon. Thanks, all.
killerfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
planes

I have a propeller that I know to be from the WWII era. It was given as a gift to my great grandfather who was a civil engineer in the army. It is a Gardner propeller with identification numbers as follows:
DES. 491
SERA. 42729
A.T.C. 710

It also has it stamped on it:
80 horsepower and 2700 revolutions per minute

I believe that it might be from a Stinson, but am not sure. It is a double blade modern wooden propeller with a silver star in the center. (but this might just be because it was a gift.) Thanks for any help!
planes is offline   Reply With Quote