Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
sjginlp

Default Fahlin propeller - cannot find these #'s on list

I have an unknown year Fahlin propeller. The decal only says Fahlin and there is no city or state printed on it.
On the hub is what appears to be stamped M B 56 (I could be wrong on this, maybe H B?); and beneath that is 600A.
It is an 8 hole hub with metal which is in 3 separate pieces on the leading edge from about 12" from hub to and around tips. This metal appears to be brass on tips and maybe copper on the inward 2 pieces.
The dimensions are: 95 3/8ths length. (maybe 95 1/4 just expanded from age?) It is 5 layers thick measuring 4" total at hub. Dia. of bolt holes is 3/8ths". Center to center on holes is 5 1/4". Center bore is 2 11/16ths". and the crush plate measures 6" across.
I hope that I've measured correctly per the Hub Dimensions Chart on this site and that I've described this correctly. I hope to find out the approximate year this propeller was made? Last use was supposed to have been on a Ranger engine/unknown aircraft though. Thanks, Sharon
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
MWP_Lamar

I don't have this number on any list I have. Perhaps someone else can help.

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
sjginlp

Thank you for checking and replying so quickly. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of a time period if not an actual year. On one of the lists for a different make of propeller the letters M B would have been for Mahogany and Birch but so far I've not found anything that specifies that for a Fahlin propeller. (Hubby says it's definitely M B 56)
Sharon
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Dave

Can you post or send pictures of it? Fahlin propellers covered a fairly long time span, and this may be an earlier one.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
sjginlp

Dave,
I sent you an email with some pics of the propeller. I'm not so computer savvy so don't know how to post them on this site. Hope you received the pics. Thanks, Sharon
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Dave

I did get them and will try to post them here. I need to compress them and edit them and just didn't quite get around to that.

Here they are:

Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
sjginlp

Thanks for posting the pics, Dave. Sure hope someone can enlighten me a little about this prop. Sharon
Old 03-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #8
bhunt

Default Fahlin Prop

Sharon.
The mounting dimensions and center bore fit the OX-5 and the Tank V-502 which was a air cooled version of the OX-5. These engines were used on a lot of the old bi-planes like the American Eagle, Travel Air 2000 and the Curtiss Wright B2 and other aircraft as well.
The mounting dimensions also fit the Kinner B-5 which was used on many of the Fleet Bi-planes.
This would date your prop around 1928-1935 providing it is original. With out a way to research the serial number there is just no way to tell.

You may want to try to contact Guy Watson at the Wings of History museum in San Martin California. Guy runs the Old Fahlin Memorial Propeller Shop at the museum.
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
sjginlp

Thanks so much for the information. The guy who gave it to my hubby on a recent trip to CA said he's had it for 40+ years and that he was told it was on a Ranger engine but didn't know which aircraft. I'll email Guy Watson like you suggested and maybe he can shed a bit more light on it. Sharon
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
wandel

Greetings:

I too just purchased an old Fahlin propeller. I am blessed with numbers but cannot find them on the web listings.
Drawing number D-750
ATL533 No. 2882
H.P 210, RMP 2000

The decal does state Columbia Missouri. I am interested in itís age (1939 - 1945) and more importantly what type of airplane it was designed for. What kind of 210 H.P. Engine.

Flying, Flight Simulators