Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Alicat121

Default Stone Propeller Chicago - found in my garage possibly an unairworthy one

Hi.

I found what I think is a stone propeller from the 1940's. I think it might be one of the ones that were made to not be airworthy, on the back by the hub it is stamped letters THY. Assuming this may be part of the not airworthy designation.

I'd like to find out and details about this propeller and also what it might be worth if I sell it

Any input would be most appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6117.jpg (110.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6121.jpg (96.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6144.jpg (91.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6120.jpg (93.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Alicat121; 10-09-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Update title
Alicat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

I think you're right about the non-airworthy stamping, which was there but then got removed with the routing out of the hub for a clock or similar display item. I doubt that it was intended to be unairworthy, but more likely got rejected in the manufacturing process or on return to the manufacturer for repair. (If the rear of the hub shows "witness marks" created by indentation of the metal hub then it's a sign that it was mounted and used at one point in its history.)

It's a very "typical" low horsepower prop potentially used on a variety of aircraft that were powered by a Continental A 65 (or similar) engine.

To a collector it's nearly worthless due to the highly visible hub alteration. To someone who has a clock that would fit in that space and who likes a clock display it's worth a little more, but it's not particularly valuable. (Personally, I'd just put it on eBay with no reserve and see what you get. At least the blades are in good shape.)
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
msprior01

Smile Stone Propeller!

HI, I may be interested in purchasing your propeller. I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com
Thanks, Scott
msprior01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, selling, stone propeller