Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Ahooie0412

Default World War 1 naval airplane propeller

I am trying to get some history on a propeller my grandfather saved after the war. He passed away in 1978 (before I was born) I knew it existed at one time but had no idea the propeller was still being stored until my dads death in 2013. With his death and history on it was lost. It is very special to me and would love any knowledge you've able to share. It is in incredible original condition (it wrapped, stored and never moved from the time he aquired it at the end of the war until 2013)
So far I can read -RH
SRNO 23940-A
Ahooie0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

All that can be determined by what you've provided is that it is right hand rotation and has a serial number. There are thousands of propellers that fit that description.

Look for a drawing number, manufacturer name or decals, and measure it from tip to tip for starters. See this page concerning hub dimensions.

I'll add that its almost impossible to ever obtain a "history" as such on one of these. There is very little recorded information, and most of the stories that are handed down over the years turn out to be inaccurate.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote