Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 05-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #11
F.D.M

Hi PM,

None of the propellers from the collection in question were withdrawn. The original estimates can still be found in the pdf catalogue on the Dominic Winter's site.

Edit:
What do you actually mean by 'asking price'?
The starting bid price?

Regards,

Last edited by F.D.M; 05-18-2016 at 10:53 AM.
F.D.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #12
pmdec

Hi,

Sorry for my bad wording and my erroneus number list wich are withdrawn objects and not the "not sold ones" ...

Some of the propellers didn't sold: they are the missing numbers of the realised prices list (MIL16A prices realised.pdf on the D Winter site) between 896 and 943.

I was interested by the starting bid prices of those 18 (number given by Bob) "not sold" (if nobody bid) or by the higher bid if there was a "reserve" price .

Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
F.D.M

In the regular Dominic Winter catalogue (24_dw_13) you can find the estimates. The starting bid prices can not be retrieved as far as I know. It is my belief that those prices are determined live by the auctioneer at the auction since those opening bid prices differ from the on-line minimum bid prices. However, I am unfamiliar with the proces and I can be wrong.

Regards,
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
pmdec

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. What you said about opening prices is also my understanding, so I hope(d?) that somebody took notes of those opening prices: if there was no "reserve" price, habitually, the auctioneer "takes out" the object if there is no bid at opening price. Sometimes, he tells a lower price trying to make the bids begin, and only after this he takes the object out.

Regards,
PM
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
Bob Gardner

Bonjour Mon Ami,

The convention is that the lower figure in the guide prices represents the reserve; thus a prop catalogued as 700-1000 has a reserve price of 700. Bids below this will be rejected. 700 is the starting price. The bracket of 700-1000 is the auctioneers guide to what the prop might sell for. Almost all auction houses state very low prices, which no one really believes. They are intended to seduce people like me to come to the auction in the hope of a bargain! The hammer price refers to the successful bid, to which the auctioneers' premium is added. At Dominic Winter it is 23.40% which includes VAT. Therefore a successful bid of 2000 will result in the buyer paying the auctioneer 2468.

Gert tells me that eighteen props did not sell. Five have sold after the sale. Three more will probably sell and the auction house has received several more enquiries.

If any forumites wish to buy any of those remaining, they should ring Dominic Winter's as soon as possible or email them. 01285 860006 (the international code is +44). info@dominicwinter.co.uk

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
F.D.M

Thanks for your clarification on auctions!

Regards,
Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 AM   #17
lion65

Good morning all,

Soon I will be publish a list of all sold propellers and the yield per propeller. In the section 'Selling' I posted a list of until now unsold propellers. There are a number of rare German propellers by (the interest is high).

With kind regards,
Gert
lion65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #18
lion65

Hello forum members and interested,

the last 14 propellers are offered for sale this week.
Most are rare and unique German WW1 propellers.
There are also a number of historical and rare books on propellers for sale.

If you are interested, please contact me (send me a private message) for comprehensive information on the propellers.

Sales take place at Dominic Winter Auctioneers.
http://www.dominicwinter.co.uk/
or email them, info@dominicwinter.co.uk
01285 860006 (the international code is +44).

With kind regards,

Gert
Netherlands
Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
pmdec

Hi,

Thank you Bob for your explanation. In France, the beginning price is often largely lower than the lower estimation price, except for auctions where there is very small price variation possibilities ("standard" gold jewels, for example, which sell from their weight).

@lion65: yes, I was surprised that the German props didn't sell. Perhaps they suffer from cost transport to USA?
I have discussed of your collection with my "colleagues", but we are not in the way of buying anything else that French ones until our collection (quite completed for the 14-18 era), will include a panel of metalic propellers (fixeed and variable pitch) from the 30's AND more pre-WW1 ones (we have only six brands). The only exception would be a Hamilton in original state with the "banana" decals...

Regards,
PM
Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #20
lion65

Hello PM,

there is only one French propeller left over, a Levasseur for the Dorant AR1 plane from about 1918. Unfortunately I have not the Hamilton propeller...

Kind regards,
Gert