Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
Bob Gardner

Bonjour Pierre-Michel,

I agree. This is not a French made prop. It carries entirely English markings. And I'm sure from your posts that it is of French design, in this instance given a British & Colonial Co drawing number of P23, where the designator letter P indicates B & C. The British could not import sufficient French aircraft, engines and props during WW1 so they were made in Britain under licence.

There are no batch numbers ( G & N numbers) because the prop (and Nieu 17) pre-dated September 1917 when the newly formed Air Board started allocating them.

As the French were the world-leading designers of aero-engines and props at the start of WW1, it became the convention to use their nomenclature, in this case mm for millimetres; hence 2570mm. There was a short period in WW1 when the British used Imperial measurements; hence 8ft 5inches. Not only was it done for a short time but only a few makers did it. As you, the French, and us British had been enemies for at least a thousand years of invasion and warfare, perhaps it was a momentary reversion to type!

Avec le Respect,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #22
pmdec

Hi Bob,

Thank you for these infos. And yes, I think it is a Régy design, even if Grémont props have quite the same shape: Attached pic is a Grémont serial S.

Regards,
PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00146_cr_800pxH.jpg (42.5 KB, 8 views)
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #23
AFBreest

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for all of the great info. I've built a mount for the prop and have it displayed quite nicely at my place. I think I may go ahead and order one of your books. Can you recommend which book would have the most information related to the prop I have in this thread?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Bob Gardner

Andrew,

None of my books describe a prop like yours. They describe British and German WW1 props. Yours is French and we are all waiting for Pierre-Michel to publish his book on Les Hélices Français.

But one of my books (Design & Manufacture of British WW1 Props) has about seven pages which describe the pioneering work of Lucien Chauvière whose work totally dictated the design of your prop. And Part Two of my British series has about fifty pages which describes the British & Colonial Prop company who made your prop, probably under licence. But none of these 50 pages has any relevance at all to your prop.

I suggest I email you a pdf of the seven pages on Chauvière.

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #25
AFBreest

Bob,

Thanks for offering to send that small PDF. I would gladly take it!

I've really enjoyed all of the information you've given me so far. I'm a C-130 pilot in the states and love getting all this early prop history. I may still get your second book as well. It would be cool to have a little history on the company that produced my prop. Does the book by chance include any info on the Nieu 17 being built under contract by the British?

My email is afbreest@comcast.net

Thanks again,

Andrew
Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #26
Bob Gardner

Greetings Andrew,

I emailed the description of Lucien Chauvière several days ago. Part Two of my series on British prop makers describes B & C in general but not in the specific, so there isn't a description of your prop.

Some data has come to light recently that might enable me to write a complete book about B & C propellers, but not yet!

With kind regards,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 07-28-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #27
Bob Gardner

Andrew,

Have you received the pdf about Lucien Chauvière that I emailed to you several days ago?

Bob
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 AM   #28
AFBreest

Bob,

I have! I must appologieze for my delayed response. I have been on the road the last several weeks and am just now getting settled back at home.

I really did enjoy your PDF excerpt though. It's great to have a sense of how the propeller was designed and built. I just passed the PDF on to my dad who previously owned the prop for the past 30 years-- I know he's going get a kick out.

And you'll have to post a follow up if you go forward with a new book!

Best regards,

Andrew