Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
Bob Gardner

Bart,

If you can, post a photograph of the prop, of both the entire prop and a close up of the hub top surface. If a flown example, the top and bottom surfaces will have marks left by the hub plates used to bolt the prop to the engine. And also, if flown for some length of time, the bolt holes will become slightly oval with wear in the thrust plane from the crank shaft.

With kind regards and met vriendelijke groet,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #12
Bob Gardner

Bart,

Postscript; I see I didn't answer your question about the value of your prop. Your question is simple but the answer is complex. It has three different values, all of which I must emphasise are much less than the values of a WW1 propeller.

If you sold the prop at a conventional auction house (not eBay) in a sale of aeronautical items, it might make up to 900 (which is also $900 as the Euro and USD are at parity). With the auctioneer's charges deducted this would give you about 700. Conversely, if bought at auction, after the auctioneer's commission, it would cost 1130.

If you bought it from a dealer, such as I used to be, he too would pay 1130 at auction. Transport, conservation and repairs would typically cost 500, raising the dealer's costs to 1650. I usually sold at 30% mark up, giving a sale price of around 2200. But a dealer with premises in London or Amsterdam, with much greater running costs, would sell for double or triple this cost, say 5000. However, knowing that a civilian propeller from the 1920's would be difficult to sell, it is not likely that he would buy it in the first place.

Thus:
If you sold it at auction you might receive 700.
If you bought it at the same auction, 1130.
If your prop was stolen or destroyed, the insurance value would be the cost of buying something similar in good condition from a dealer, between 2200 and 5000.

(If you kept it for twelve years and sold it in 2027 when it was 100 years old, it might well make considerably more.)

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 06-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #13
Bob Gardner

Bart,

I don't seem to have had a reply from you about my last post of 1 June?

Bob
Old 06-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #14
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
Bart,

I don't seem to have had a reply from you about my last post of 1 June?

Bob
Bob, I feel your frustration with this. A few people here (and you in particular) spend a lot of time and effort to help others with propeller identification, and there is probably no other venue in the world that makes it this easy to ask. Sometimes that effort seems to go unnoticed.

The only consolation is that unlike emails where the same information may be exchanged, at least here it is archived for future searches, and I for one am always grateful for your participation.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Bob Gardner

Thanks Dave for your support. I'm old fashioned. I expect people to recognise my work for them.

One of my replies can typically take two hours to research and cross reference, partially because I'm seventy years old and I do everything slowly. I often have the sensation that our much younger correspondents regards us as an inanimate computer service, not as a conversation between humans. I do sometimes wonder why I bother. On a beautiful June day I'd often prefer to be out bird watching.

Tongue in cheek, perhaps we should have a standard five dollar fee for each question. It would contribute to the enormous personal expense you have made funding this forum and it might reduce our workload. Probably few of our fellow forumites are aware that it has cost you some thousands of dollars.

A friend who sells antique clocks was so annoyed by the number of unsolicited requests for research and for valuations to his website that he introduced a 20 GBP charge, about $30 USD, and to his astonishment the number of queries grew! People were willing to pay and found his advice good value for money.

With kind regards, as ever,

Bob
Old 08-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #16
Steve Maghielse

Hi Bob,
Do you also have a database of U.S. made WW1 aircraft props? My Grandfather made many props for the Government during WW1. I would love to learn more of the History.
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #17
Bob Gardner

Steve,

I don't! Only British and German WW1 props. But Dave Bahnson, who founded this site, is the expert on American props. I'll copy this post to a more public page in the forum, as others might also have some advice.

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 12-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #18
eagle770

Hi Bob,

I would be very interested in a copy of your database when it is available. Do you have a publication date in mind yet?

Best Regards

Joe Marsden
eagle770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #19
Bob Gardner

Joe,

About a month or two. I should think.

Bob
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
F.D.M

Hello Bob,

How about Part 3 of the German Propeller serie?

Is it going to be released anytime soon?

Best Regards,
F.D.M is offline   Reply With Quote