Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
chuckpee

Default More Requa-Gibson information

Thank you for helping identify our early Requa-Gibson propeller. I would appreciate more information, such as the meaning of each item in Line 2 (P17 D70 P80 c). It measures 7 feet (84"), so may I assume D70 means 7.0 feet? Which of the “Ps” is pitch…and the other? The small “c”? Regarding the metal “sleeve” insert (pic). Is this normal?
I want to display it, but there is some tip damage. After reading Bob's message about restoring, I should refrain from any serious “restoration” - but what about a light cleaning and maybe gluing the split?
Thanks in advance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R-G - 1.jpg (61.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg R-G - 2.jpg (94.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R-G - 7a.jpg (96.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg R-G - 12.jpg (72.2 KB, 0 views)
chuckpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Generally, on most propellers the diameter is listed first, followed by the pitch, but that's not to say that it was as standard early on when this one was presumably manufactured. A pitch of 80 inches would be very coarse, while a pitch of 17 inches would make the blade almost flat when looking at the angle of pitch. I don't know the method to calculate it mathematically, but assuming that one of those "P"s refers to pitch then if you post a photo of the blade as seen from the side, we should be able to tell "coarse" from "fine" I think.

I don't know about the small "c", nor the metal sleeve. Neither is common.

I definitely would not glue the split, but a light cleaning is OK as long as you aren't too aggressive. Bob recommends high quality beeswax, which should help protect the surface.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
chuckpee

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully these pictures will better show the pitch. Let me know if you need more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R-G - 17.jpg (99.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg R-G - 16.jpg (88.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg R-G - 15.jpg (69.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg R-G - 14.jpg (87.2 KB, 1 views)
chuckpee is offline   Reply With Quote