Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
Dave

It won't fit for USPS.

Here's how I estimate CRATE size for any prop. Get the measurements for A, B, and C below.

Add 2 inches to each of those measurements to allow for the wood needed to create the crate, noting that it's not necessarily just the hub size that determines the dimensions.

In the case of a propeller like the SPAD prop A = 103", B = 9", and C = 7". Add 2 inches to each of those to get a crate that is 105" x 11" x 9". Since the girth will be twice the height plus width (20" x 2 = 40") the total "dimensional weight" used by shippers will be 145", which is acceptable for FedEx but not the USPS.

This method can be used for any prop, but when you're looking at them you usually will know the length ("A") but not the height and width. You can estimate the crate length and then see what's left for "girth". In this case when you subtract 105" from the USPS maximum of 130" it leaves only 25 inches for girth, or 12 1/2 inches for width plus height, BUT you need to subtract 2" from each of those for the crate, leaving only 8" for the COMBINED width and height of the item. You can see from that information that there are very few propellers that will fit within the USPS dimensional limits, and those that do will be short and/or very narrow. That excludes virtually all WW1 era props.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
Bob Gardner

Corey,

No import duty is required on an item returning to its country of origin, which in this case is now the EU rather than France. But you might be charged VAT. Can US Forces in Europe buy items VAT-free? If so, you'll be able to claim back any VAT that Italian Customs charge you.

I used to be a dealer in WW1 British and German props but no longer due to age. But I am selling a few props on behalf of a customer in Switzerland and I might have one WW1 German prop left. You could drive up to Switzerland from North Italy to collect it.

B
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
Corey

Dave, Bob,
Wonderful feedback. I am worried once I buy one of these damn things, I might get hooked!

For Dave, I think my course of action should I go with your prop will be to have it shipped to a relative, who lives in the states and will keep it safe until I return someday. It will bum me out but will save me that 10% or more customs fee. Plus, out of principle, I just dont fancy putting money into the pocket of an Italian govt agency.

For Bob, unfortunately I am still subjected to the VAT even as US Military. Thats not to say I wouldnt purchase a prop over here in the EU, as the tax would not be a show stopper. So, yes I am interested should you have one.

Corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Bob Gardner

Corey.

Let me have your e-mail address by private message (box top right) and I'll send photographs of the prop I have for sale.

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
Corey

Bob,
I have already put money down for another prop. In fact one that you used to own. Do you remember your old AVRO 504 with the unique specs markings on one of the blades?

Corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #26
Bob Gardner

Oh Yes! I sold it to Mickey Smith, I believe. If so give him my regards. If I remember correctly it has an Avro decal on one blade and the calibration results on the other showing hp at various rpm when tested by the RAF, which here means the Royal Aircraft Factory. The Royal Air Force came into being a years later in 1918. It would be almost impossible to find a better Avro 504 prop so you have a prop to be proud of!

With kind regards,

Bob