Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Dave

Thanks for the input, Bob.

As a further illustration of how haywire things CAN be, this Jacuzzi prop sold on eBay in 2007 for an astonishing $12,600!

Note that is has been refinished (shiny tips). Also, to my knowledge there was no other history known about the item, including what aircraft might have used it. So it started out with 2 HUGE strikes against it.

I was dumbfounded at the time, as I would not have paid anything close to even 1/10th of that bid. I'm guessing that it was a situation much like Bob describes - two bidders thinking that it must be worth AT LEAST what the previous bidder bid, so neither one thinks that adding another bid unit isn't that big of a risk.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Corey

Thanks Gents for taking the time to give me some good advice. The SE5A I am eyeballing meets all the value degrading trip wires you have mentioned thus far. Will see how a low ball offer goes.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Corey

Here is the SE5A on ebay. I have made a low but realistic offer that I think will be turned down.

Check it out if you wish

Asking 2250 GBP on the store website.

290881087328 eBay item number
Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Dave

Those several propellers have been listed on eBay for the past 2 months or so. That should also tell you something.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Corey

well, the SE5A seller wasn't even going to budge for three times what I offered. Must be waiting on that sucker to be born or we are in a sellers market. No way Im forking out a couple of grand for a prop dipped in lacquer and has a hub previously violated by a clock! As a guy just looking for a cool piece of aviation history and not a budding prop collector, I just dont like the feeling of it.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Dave

You won't regret that decision. Many sellers just don't want to believe that their altered prop isn't worth the same as a pristine one. There's a HUGE difference.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Corey

This is more of a crate sizing question for Dave, so here it goes. What would the length and girth (tape measure wrapped around widest part or 2xwidth + 2xdepth) be for the crated Spad XI? Reason being I am limited to 130 total inches of length plus girth to recieve packages via the USPS to my FPO AE address. Being that I am stationed in Italy, the customs tax could range from 10%-20% of the determined value, in Euro, if I dont ship it via USPS to the Military Postal System.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
Bob Gardner

Corey,

There are no customs barriers or national barriers within the EU (European Union). So if you buy a European prop from a country within the EU you can ship it to any other country within the EU without documentation and without any form of tax.

Shipping it back to the States with your personal effects is unlikley to attract import duty. And US Customs do not apply import duty to any antique, which they define as an object which is 100 years old or older. So, a prop made in 1913 is an antique and those made during WW1 (that's 1914 to 1919 for Europeans) will be so within a few years.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
Corey

Thanks Bob. I will keep that in mind as my search continues. You have any props for sale? I do still have my eye on that awesome Helice that Dave has up for sale. That transaction would be where I pay the customs fees unfortunately, given that its coming from the US, unless it comes USPS and into the MPS, which is limited to 130 inches of length + girth. Honestly, the additonal customs fees are weighing in on my decision of ownership.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #20
Bob Gardner

I also make the observation again, for forumites in general, that if you fall in love with a prop and fail to buy it, the acquisitive side of your nature naturally will be disappointed and saddened.

But in many respects you have achieved a success; your money is intact; you will find another prop; possibly better and cheaper.

Another observation is that buying an antique is not the same as buying something disposable such as a car, a washing machine, or a new i-pad which have little or no residual value after a few years. Antiques generally increase in value. WW1 props are likely to increase in value over the coming centenary. It is quite possible that a prop bought now will be sold in fifteen years time for twice as much. In some respects this is like transferring money from one account to another. And props are prettier than bank statements.

B
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote