Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
Any thoughts on what type of airplane this might have been attached to, given the manufacturer and the hub? Also, any thoughts on what the propeller might be worth?

Thanks,

KTE
Not without making a lot of guesses. There's just too much information missing to draw much in the way of conclusions about usage and/or value.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
KTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Happy New Year, PM and others!

That does look like a Stone decal and the prop itself is consistent with a Stone design, from the Stone props I've seen. (Picture here.)
Dave,

What additional information would be required in your opinion to be able to better identify the usage and potential value.

KTE
KTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Dave

We'd love to have it - a listing of all the Stone propeller drawing numbers and the aircraft for which they were designed. That information seems to be lost in history somewhere.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
KTE

Dave,

I've sent information on the propeller to the Smithsonian to see what if anything they come up with. It seems the folks there also frequent this forum since they had seen my postings re. the prop. How does someone go about determining value and do you feel there is a market for this particular propeller?

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
D.Hicklin

Default a very simple question

Hello KTE. Allow me to throw my hat in the ring so to speak in regards to your prop.

What you have there is a wonderful piece of history no doubt, my simple question is this, " why would you want to sell a prop like this?"

I say that only in regards to your question as to how to go about figuring what its worth. For my 8 cents worth, I say to you, you have such a rare prop in relation to what it is and its patina, collectors world wide would love to have it, but if you sell it, all you have is money, and money world wide is common in the sense of currency, but a prop of that quality and age such as you have, well to own it, is far better than the money that can be gotten for it, in my opinion.

That being said, I would hope that what ever the monetary value it ultimately has, by virtue of you already owning it, "that" is the true value of it. For once it is sold for mere money, regardless of the price, sooner or later long after the money is spent, I have a feeling that you will wonder why you ever sold it. And to even think of replacing it with another prop that can match it in make and patina, well the price would be high and not practical, but that is just my personal opinion.

Hang onto to your prop for as long as you can, you wont regret it.

Sincerely,
J. Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball graphics card.jpg (74.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_shot_2012-02-01_at_10_24_45_PM.jpg (37.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg katherine stinson propeller.jpg (98.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by D.Hicklin; 03-14-2013 at 08:05 PM.
D.Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Bob Gardner

Well said Dennis! Well done. That thought has long lingered at the back of my mind but I have never quite managed to express it when advising people not to sell their prop, nor when explaining that their prop is valuable but not necessarily in terms of money.

With kind regards,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 03-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Bob Gardner

An after thought.

Kyle mentioned;
I've sent information on the propeller to the Smithsonian to see what if anything they come up with. It seems the folks there also frequent this forum since they had seen my postings re. the prop.

I have visited the major museums in Britain, France, Belgium, Germany and Poland (a total of nine) to gather info on German props for the series of books I am currently writing. Does the Smithsonian have many German WW1 props? Does anyone have a contact there?

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
Dave

Bob,

About 15 years ago I met with the Curator of Propulsion at the NASM and we spent the day together looking over their entire collection of propellers. I don't recall many (or frankly even ANY) German props of note at the time. In fact, I think their best propellers were on display in the museum itself and many of the ones they had stored at their Silver Hill facility were not what you or I would consider high quality items. Their dirigible collection is impressive,though, partly because they are so huge.

Things may be different now, and the curator I spent time with (Jeremy Kinney) seemed to have a much more aggressive procurement philosophy than the previous curator, who apparently turned down most donations unless they had a documented history associated with a famous person or event.

The library at the NASM might have documents of interest, and the librarian there can be very helpful, but I went there to try to find listings of propeller design numbers associated with aircraft usage and did not come away with much.

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
Bob Gardner

Thanks Dave. That sets my mind at rest.

I'm moderately sure I have tracked down most collections of WW1 props in the nine museums I mention above. The problem is that I have this little voice at the back of my mind which whispers every now and then that there is a marvellous collection of German WW1 props somewhere and if only I made more effort I'd find them! I expect this happens to other researchers as well as me!

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
KTE

Thank you for the feedback regarding my propeller. I realize it is a piece of history, and in fact the more I learn about it, the more I appreciate the significance. I've had the propeller for 28 years and it has been mainly in my attic the entire time. I simply do not have the space to display a nine foot propeller. The money is not necessarily the important part of the decision to sell, but more importantly to have it someplace where it could be better appreciated and viewed.

Additionally, if I were to keep it, I'd like to be able to place a value on it for insurance purposes.

Kyle