Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
D.Hicklin

Default positive responce

Hello Bretta, welcome to the forum and thanks for getting back to me.

Ok here is where we stand at this point. First of all, bummer about you being across the pond, but cant help that, it is what it is. To me I have a soft spot for damaged props, I see them as pieces that wish to be in movement again but cant. So when I can obtain them, I use them as pieces in kinetic sculpture that allows them to move again, and I just keep them here in my studio, I dont resell them.

But lately it seems that some half props regardless of common sense, the owners see them as high dollar pieces, and they sit around and dont get sold and languish. I have the patience of a lump of granite, so in time I win.

As to your set of blades and dont take this as a snub, dave is correct, as cool as they are, they are not worth very much. So here is the reality from me. If I were to buy them from you, the offer is $100.00 per blade ($200.00 total ) as I prefer them as a set.

Since they are not in the form of a true cross they way they were when it was original, they dont need a special box or crate to ship them. Its simple, they just need to be double wrapped in bubble wrap nested to each other, then sheathed in cardboard that is form fitted with agressive bending to fit the shape, then duct taped and its done, and its done cheaply.

If you have time, see what the weight of them are together, and see what the postage is from your area to seattle washington, that way we have a number to go by as far as to what it will cost me for the shipping, should this advance further to a sale of your blades to me.
Thats about it, now the online debate can start as I am sure there will be others that will chime in about your blades.

As far as being a sponsor, more communication will have to ensue as time goes by...............cheshire grin.

Get back to me and lets see how how this pans out.

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy jack.jpg (34.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DC3&me.jpg (66.8 KB, 9 views)
D.Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Bretta

I see, I was wondering what the difference between RAF and RAE was.

I thought they'd be worth a little more but no surprises considering they've been chopped up.

kind regards
Bretta
Bretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Bretta

Hi Dennis,

As they are not worth too much I think I will keep hold of them with a view to mounting them on my wall at some point.

kind regards
Bretta
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
D.Hicklin

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the response, and if perchance in the future should you reconsider, then by all means get back to me.

Be well, and enjoy the forum.

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington
D.Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Bretta

Thanks Dennis
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
Bob Gardner

Bretta,

If your prop blades have been in the family for over a quarter of a century it is very right and proper that they remain there. In addition, the value will rise in the next five years or so as the centenary of WW1 passes through 2014 to 2019.

Your blades are valuable in the sense that they will soon be a hundred years old and come from close to the dawn of aviation. Their present sawn condition is perfectly valid and not to be regretted. It shows how they were disposed of at squadron level and how someone struggled home with them. It is always possible that it might have been the pilot, whose landing accident wrote off the other two blades, or his mechanic.

You might consider typing out what you have discovered from us about the blades and from Google about the FE2B and attaching the note to the prop or framing it and keeping it with the prop for future reference in fifty or a hundred years time.

If you clean the blades by wiping them with warm soapy water, then let them dry, then repeat the process carefully until no more dirt comes off, then let them dry for several days and finally polish them with pure beeswax out of a tin, you may well see a considerable improvement. (beeswax out of a Sainsbury's aerosol will contain modern silicone polishes which are too powerful for 100 year old lacquer.) Don't polish the brass.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote