Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Design and Manufacturing > Manufacturers

Old 06-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
dairwin

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. I can not find a UK supplier of Techniglue, but have found a West Systems supplier.

Regards,

David
dairwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Garuda

Hi David,

You're very welcome! I don't think you will be disappointed with West Systems adhesive. Although I haven't used it, my understanding is that it is very much the same as Techniglue, and a variety of other adhesives. The only difference I am aware of is that if you require filler with the West Systems glue you have to add it manually, whereas Techniglue already has it in the mixture. I decided that slight, or even more substantial gaps in the joints are inevitable, and in some cases such as toothing plane grooves (or a very close substitute, as I have devised, since toothing planes are not as readily available as they once were) are added intentionally. The filler will ensure that any such gaps, whether added intentionally or not will not result in an inferior joint. If you choose to use the West Systems epoxy you will have more flexibility, since you will have the choice of adding filler if you deem it necessary, or omitting it if you feel it not to be necessary.

I am exceptionally happy with Techniglue, and I'm sure you will find the West Systems epoxy to be just as good. Interestingly, I have talked to several other builders who have also decided to use Techniglue, and have not heard any bad reports about it.

Regards,

David.
Garuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
dairwin

Hello David,

Thank you for your detailed answer David, I very much appreciate your experienced opinion.

I have never fabricated a propeller before and consequently, these types of epoxy(?) glues are new to me for this application.

The filler used for the West Systems; from reading the web and viewing a video, I understand the filler is a thicker mix containing a powder/filler component when one mixes resin and hardener.

Is there a specific brand number of West System epoxy I should be considering for a propeller (given the dynamics of propellers), and what filler type?

Thanks,

David
dairwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Garuda

You're very welcome David. I have some experience, and am trying to become an expert WW1 propeller builder, but I'm just like you really, asking people and trying to learn as much as I possibly can.

I think you're right, they are epoxy adhesives, as far as I know. I don't know which specific glue and filler you should use. I could go to the fibreglass supplies shop and ask the owner. I have heard that they all have very similar properties to each other, and the modern two part epoxies are stronger than the timber, so it's very difficult to go wrong I would suggest. The only real danger is adding too much hardener, which results in a glue which ironically never sets properly. If measured carefully this will never be an issue.

I grew up in England, and usually spell propeller with an or at the end. I'm not sure if I learned this spelling at school or if I just made it up somehow. How do you spell propeller over there?

Regards,

David.
Garuda is offline   Reply With Quote