Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Buying and Selling > Selling

Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
stumckay

Default Original Piper J3 Cub Propeller

Hi all
I have my dad's old wooden propeller from his 1940's or 1950,s era J3 cub and was wondering how I can determine if the prop is still useable and what it is worth.
As far as I can tell, it is in fine condition and is free of any splinters, chips, dings or other defects that would affect performance.
The varnish is still intact and does not show signs of gatoring.
It does have some stamped info on the blade and I'm in the process of educating my self on what they mean.
Personally, I would rather see this prop back on a J3 where it belongs instead of my wall. If anyone could please point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to sell/restoring this propeller I would appreciate it very much
Thanks, Stu McKay
stumckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
MWP_Lamar

The ONLY safe way I know to determine if the prop is still usable is to get it tested at a certified prop shop.

So far as selling it, your largest audience would be on eBay but you may want to consider listing it here first; it's free.

Care and feeding of wooden props is covered in another topic on this forum here: http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/showthread.php?t=674.

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
stumckay

Default Thanks for your help

Thank you for the info. I'm actually surprised that e-bay would be a place to buy a critical component like a prop, but that's life in the new millennium.
Keep you all posted on how I make out. Thanks again
Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
MWP_Lamar

If you get it certified for flight you may want to list it on www.barnstormers.com/. The difference between eBay and Barnstormers being selling it as collector's or decorator item and selling it as a usable airplane part.

Lamar
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
stumckay

Default Thank You

Thank you Lamar
On some level I kind of planned on the prop having to pass some kind of testing before before a potential buyer would lay down cash for it.
Would you happen to know if that kind of testing can be done at an FBO or shipped to a specialty facility?
Thanks for your time and advice, I truly appreciate it.
Stu McKay
Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
MWP_Lamar

Sorry Stu but I don't know. I would think your friendly local FBO would advise you though.

Lamar
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Dave

I have a Piper Cub, and might be interested if it is in fact airworthy. A mechanic can make that determination with a careful inspection, but I had to replace one on my own plane a few years ago because of tiny little cracks near the rivet heads - something that you would never notice on casual inspection. My guess is that it's more likely NOT airworthy, but who knows?

What is the model and serial number?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
stumckay

Default Airworthy Prop

Hi Dave
I'm planning on visiting my local FBO here in Plymouth to see where I can get the prop certified as airworthy or not.
I'll let you know either way if the prop is good or not.
As far as the serial number, I;m not sure which number is the serial number let alone the manufacturer.
Again, I'll let you know after I talk to a mechanic tomorrow.
Have a nice day, Stu McKay