Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
snj5

Default IPC decals

Looking for some British IPC decals; Can someone refer to a very clear photo or drawing or a source for repro decals.
Have ordered the Gardner book, but need the clearest drawing or photo available to make a decal.
Many thanks
snj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Dave

I'm not sure if there is a single style British IPC decal or if there were several. Most of the decals on this page are of propellers that I currently own (although a few may be gone by now). After I took those photos I got a better camera and figured out a better way to take the close ups, so if those are the style you're after email me (use the PM button at the bottom of this page) and we should be able to figure something out. There is a link on that page to Nostalgic Reflections, who make reproduction decals, but there may be other alternatives as well, depending on what country you're in.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Bob Gardner

Send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail you an extract from my second prop book on makers and their products. The instalment on IPC won't be out for several months. There are lots of variations on the Integral theme.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
VISCOUNT

Is this one of interest, Bob? I don't own the prop by the way.

Best Regards,
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parnall100.jpg (105.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Bob Gardner

Bob,

Lovely. Better than my two which are a bit worn and battered. May I use your photo in my next book on British makers? I'll credit it to you.

The book is coming out in instalments because it amounts to about 700 pages and the part about Parnall ( in part eleven; makers from Sage to Valkyrie) will be published towards the end of the year.

With many thanks,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
snj5

Many thanks Dave and Bob!
This is for a replica Ruston built Sopwith Camel (have an original data plate), and best I can tell this propeller, although only at 90", is closest to the thinner gracefull IPC style with a very subtle curved leading edge. I've attached a photo on the forum in case there is a better suited decal. It's just a replica, but little things like that add a lot in the enjoyment. I am having a replica prop hub machined as well to fit the SAE#1 hub of the engine we are using.

I've spoken to Nostalgic Reflections, and they just need a really good photo to copy

All advice appreciated!

Many thanks!

Add: if you know a prop shop that can make a more accurate appearing and flyable 90" replica, I'd also be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0033 small.JPG (90.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Dave

I do have a Camel propeller that I have yet to photograph and put on the web site page. It's been refinished at some point, and has no decals or fabric but could certainly be used as a template if you're serious about making a replica. Chad Willie, who I believe is in Iowa has done some very nice reproductions, including some for the Rhinebeck Aerodrome, and would be a good resource to explore. I sent him a Thomas Morse Scout prop a few years ago, which he then reproduced and sent both props to a buyer in England, whom I believe was quite pleased with his work. I can dig that stuff out somewhere if needed.

http://stcroix.50webs.com/
Old 05-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
VISCOUNT

Bob,

I'm awaiting authority from the owner to release, but I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

Best Regards,
Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
Bob,

Lovely. Better than my two which are a bit worn and battered. May I use your photo in my next book on British makers? I'll credit it to you.

The book is coming out in instalments because it amounts to about 700 pages and the part about Parnall ( in part eleven; makers from Sage to Valkyrie) will be published towards the end of the year.

With many thanks,

Bob
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Dave

There has just been listed on eBay an original Camel propeller in Australia. A little pricey, especially considering shipping, but it might be something to consider for someone interested in a restoration. It could be used as a template for a functioning reproduction then preserved as a display propeller for the owner.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
snj5

Yes, a bit pricey. So is the Ebay propeller linked the "Admiralty shape" as opposed to the more angular Lang design?