Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
pmdec

Default Pictures

Hi all,

I have the pleasure to post some pictures from a French small expo showing wooden propellers.

A very early Ratmanoff serial KU in original condition. On the table, a hub and a model to explain laminated construction.

WW1 propellers, from left to right : a Ratier serial 15 for Morane, a Régy serial 300 (copper shielded pusher) for Voisin, an English prop serial AD644 for Sopwith Camel, a Régy serial 337 for Spad XI and Caudron R11, a Régy serial 343 for Sopwith ½ Strutter, a Levasseur serial 586 for Spad XIII, a Ratier serial 34 for Bréguet XIV A², another Ratier serial 34, this one made by Selmersheim, a Chauvière serial 2219 (copper shielded) for Nieuport X, a Ratmanoff serial HS made by SHAM-De La Granville (special construction with thin laminations) for Spad XIII and a Lumière serial 144 for Sopwith Dolphin Mk2.

Remains of a 1916 Ratier serial 7bis (pusher), the first Ratier success serial (1600 sold). I hope next expo will show side by side an intact one (...). On the right, a post war Ratier serial 112.

End on next post.
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
pmdec

A Ratier serial 200 for an "hélicogyre" designed by Kahn and Hellessen in 1924. Kind of helicopter whith engines fitted to the "blades"!!! Probably to minimize gyroscopic effect, there was two 4-bladed contra-rotating propellers on each engine ... No known lift off ! And I don't understand how it would have advanced had it lifted off.

1920 to 1934 propellers (downwards) : a Leseure serial 78 for Blanchard seaplane, a Bréguet serial 41 for Bréguet 19, a Ratier serial 239 for Léo 20 and a Ratier serial 264 for Spad 81C. All lacquered, except the Bréguet (sandpapered by a stupid one).

I want also to thank forum members who gave time and advice identifying some of them. Even they are less than a century old, understanding wooden propellers construction details and markings seems a very very long way ...

PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Dave

Nice!

Thanks for posting that.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Bob Gardner

Pierre-Michel,

Many congratulations on this beautiful and artistic display. Propellers are difficult things to display and not many museums manage to do it artistically. Your expo is the best I have seen.

If any other forumites have photographs of their dispalys or good ones they have seen in a museum, post them here please.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote