Heine propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marks on timber and original finish

Here are some more photos I took. I have attempted to show the marks on the rear of the propeller blades. They are extremely difficult to photograph, but hopefully you will be able to see them. Interestingly, one of the apparent toothing plane marks covers a defect in the timber. The defect appears to have caught by the toothing plane, of in fact that is what left the marks, and has been gouged out of the timber. This particular Garuda propeller was fitted to a Fokker E.V / D.VIII. It is safe to assume that by this time quality control was not a very high priority.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi David,

Many thanks for your detailled answers.

I have not the book, but there have to be at least an original decal in one of the Bob's books about German props.
      The Garuda prop I have seems to have its decals in original state but I can't be sure, having only just one Garuda prop (it is the number 21815). On the one I have, the decal seems to have three "colors": red, white and silver (silver for the name GARUDA and the border line), but worn decals always show white or silver because it is the "base" layer.

About the "kontr" markings, I think they are control marks stamped along the prop making process. Once again, this is perhaps explained in Bob's books but I have only his books about English props, being not much intersested by German ones...
      I asked the question about their number because on my Garuda there is a chipping in the wood which perhaps hides a third.

Best regards,
      PM
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are photos that Bob sent me in the past:

Attached Files

Comment

Garuda propeller details

Hi PM,

You're very welcome!

I did not intend to hijack the original thread. It is titled Heine propeller, but here we are talking about Garuda propellers!

I did not know that you also had an original Garuda propeller. As you have probably noticed from my photos my Garuda propeller is serial number 21333. Being fewer than 500 serial numbers later than mine I would be very interested to hear more details regarding your Garuda propeller. Do you know which type of aircraft it was fitted to? Your comments regarding the base colour of silver or white are very interesting, and concur with my assumption. From Dave's photos it seems that the correct colour of the winged cup (or is it a shield) is silver. The gold colour visible over part of the winged cup or shield on my propeller could be explained by yellowing varnish. Were transfers applied over the varnish, or were they sometimes varnished? I will have a look at the transfers and other parts of the propeller under magnification, in an attempt to resolve some of these questions. Regarding Bob's e-book on German propellers, I provided some information and photographs relating to my Garuda propeller. In return he very generously sent me a copy of his German propeller e-book. If I can find it I will be able to provide further information regarding Garuda propellers.

Regarding the Kontr stamps, I don't recall seeing any at all on my propeller. I will have another look, and let you know if I am able to find any similar stamps. I'm sure that you're right, they are some sort of control marking.

Dave, thank you very much for posting the photos Bob sent you. These Garuda logos are in much better condition than mine are.

I constructed a jig for the purpose of measuring my Garuda propeller. In more recent years I have been measuring components from an original T.6296 propeller. I had access to a blade and have more recently found some dimensions relating to the hub on this site, and a complete original propeller here in Australia which I will measure.

I will start a new thread for each propeller, the T.6296 and the Garuda Fokker E.V / D.VIII propeller.

Best Regards,

David.
          Last edited by Garuda; 11-30-2020, 09:35 PM. Reason: Kontr stamps

Comment

Working...
          X