Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Early Wooden Prop - Identification Help

Hi -
    I need help identifying this wooden prop. I recent started at job at a GA airport and this is mounted on the wall. No identifiers can be seen (perhaps it's on the back which I have no access to), it is refinished (boo) so they may have once existed but are no longer.

This is what I know:
    The manager who brought it to the airport in the 1970s brought it here from Holland. Prop length is 101", Prop hub is 11.5", Shaft is 4" and the bolt circumference is 8 3/4". From the aviation crew here it's suspected to be a pusher prop and potentially from a amphibious aircraft.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

TIA~
    Atrium Propellor 150429.jpg

The first thing that strikes me is that it has a 10 bolt hole hub, which is quite unusual. The other, as you've figured out, is that it is a left hand thread, so it may be a pusher application, a geared engine, or simply an engine that rotates opposite most engines. It's also fairly broad in its width, so if it wasn't so long I might be thinking of some kind of airboat prop, but I'm guessing that a pusher seaplane is probably more likely than that, due to its large diameter.

Comment

Hi,

Ten bolt holes are common in France from around 1923 when the propeller is used on high power engines (from 400 HP and higher, even on 380 HP). For example, quite all propellers for Breguet 19 have a ten bolt hole hub. But in all the cases I know of, the prop diameter is higher than 100" (around 150").
      There are also 10 to twelve bolt holes on hubs of the late 30' to end of 40' for less powered engine and smaller diameter.

On the pics below, the first is a 155" Breguet prop made in 1927 for Breguet 19 fitted with a Lorraine 400 HP engine and the two others are a 79" Chauvière prop made in 1947 for a Nord 1203 II fitted with a Regnier 4LO 135/147 HP engine.

Regards,
      PM
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you~

Thanks for your responses... It is most appreciated! What a wealth of information you all are

Comment

Working...
        X