Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Propeller on eBay

Bob:
    There is a Marshall propeller offered on eBay. There is a picture of a decal on one of the blades that says: "MARSHALL PROPELLER". The hub says:
    AIRCRAFT PROP. CO.
    NO. 322 DES. 10
    RPM 1550
    G.R.5

It is 102.25" in length and has a scimitar shape. Any idea what it was used on?
    Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I'll go and have a look. Dave and Lamar are more expert on these props than me.

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Dwight,

It's a good looking prop that appears to be in excellent original condition. The decal looks marvellous compared with most of its age. I have never seen a Marshall decal before.

I look forward to what Dave or Lamar can tell us about the company.

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner

Comment

I've Googled "Marshall Propeller Co." and nothing shows up.
        DRM

Comment

I don't know much about it either. Jeremy Young had a few Marshall propellers from his uncle's estate, and I think they've been sold now. One of them had this decal, which is obviously different than the one on eBay:

Dave

Comment

Do you agree with the seller regarding its age?
            D

Comment

Dwight,

From my point of view it has all the characteristic of an American WW1 prop from 1917-1919 and the vendor seems authorative and erudite. The prop is rare and a valuable addition to any collection. But wait until Dave or Lamar validates my view. They are more expert on US props than me.

With regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

I have no information on Marshall Propellers. I have seen exactly one other with a decal like this in a private collection. I would make an educated guess that it is for the 5 cylinder Gnome Rotary engine (gr5). I agree it's quite rare and I would think this was a very desirable prop to have.

Lamar

Comment

It would be worth getting the hub dimensions and comparing it to this chart to see if you could at least establish the likely engine used.
                  Dave

Comment

Marshall Wooden Propeller UPDATE

Hi, this very propeller has somehow ended up at my store in Bloomington, Indiana. I now have made it available again on eBay with additional information. We received a response from the Currator at the EAA AirVenture Museum. He stated that it is very rare and quite desirable and from WW1 era. We also have it listed at www.barnstormers.com classified ads to reach as many people as possible with this particular interest. If you know anyone that would be interested in this propeller would you please pass the word along. The eBay auction for this item ends May 13th 2012 around midnight. My Seller ID on eBay is jltodd1. If you have found out any additional information that might help with our marketing of this propeller it would be greatly appreciated. You may also contact me at 812-340-4539 Julie.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jltodd1; 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I've moved this thread out of the "Modern" category and into "Selling", where it belongs. (It should still link correctly to the eBay ads.)
                      Dave

Comment

Thank you for your assistance

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                          Dwight,

From my point of view it has all the characteristic of an American WW1 prop from 1917-1919 and the vendor seems authorative and erudite. The prop is rare and a valuable addition to any collection. But wait until Dave or Lamar validates my view. They are more expert on US props than me.

With regards,

Bob
                          One more point. While I think it is quite old I also suspect that it is a post WW1 era propeller, i.e. more likely from the early 20's or even 30's. I've seen other Marshall propellers that were used on aircraft such as WACO's and other post war models, some of which were still using the primitive OX5 engine (although the hub on this one is not consistent with that engine). A few years ago I compiled a partial list of manufacturers that were active during WW1 and I note that Marshall was on that list. (However that list is by no means exhaustive as it doesn't include some known major manufacturers like Paragon, Unit Construction, Westmoore, etc.)

Absent a listing of Marshall propellers and what aircraft they were designed for we probably won't ever know for sure . . .
                          Dave

Comment

Hi, We have now found the missing link about the marshall propeller. There was a flying school established in the early 20's called the Marshall Flying School. There is also a Marshall Museam! Who would have thought it would be that easy to find. Not even the Smithsonian! A very friendly eBay user notified me of the information. The propeller is now back on the market...eBay....it is not currently listed with barnstormers. I hope this new information is able to help someone else or people's interest and curiosity of the origin of the marshall propellers and to help get this propeller in the hands of someone who appreciates it for what it is.

Here is a link to the museum

http://nicholasbeazley.wordpress.com/history/

Comment

Hi Dave,
                              This is the kind of propeller for Daredevils! Marshall flying school taught stunts! The aircraft that this propeller was most likely used on was a Jenny JN-4 for their acts, more information from the museum is needed to know for sure. I will keep you posted of the findings.

Have a great day!

Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X