Tiger Moth Prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Moth Prop ID

I have a de Havilland 2-bladed prop, which is in excellent condition, and probably less than 20 years old. It came as part of the deal with my DH87b aeroplane; the UK (where I am) Civil Aviation Authority list it as approved for fitment to the DH82a. Can anyone here help with identifying the maker?

Sep 39
    Gipsy I III & Major
    DRG No 5220/L
    D 6'4"
    P 4'9"
    AG (or AC)47125 and a number on the front face of the boss R1237; could either of these 2 numbers lead to the maker?

Cheers,
    Dave

I've now flown the prop, having had it looked at by 3 licensed engineers. One of them suspects that it's only 10-20 years old and possibly made in Belgium. Can anyone suggest possible makers?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Comment

Beats me. Hopefully Bob Gardner will drop in and maybe have some ideas.
      Dave

Comment

Bob? Are you there?

Comment

Dave,

Your prop was made in September 1939 by de Havilland. The drg number is DH5220. I have 63 variations on the prop listed. Essentially it was the standard prop for the later de Havilland Moth aircraft; the DH60M Moth, Puss Moth, Fox Moth, Gipsy Moth and Tiger Moth in both DH82 and DH82A form with the Gipsy engine in II, III form and with the Gipsy Major in Series I form. The Avro Cadet and Simmonds Spartan also used this engine and prop.

The L variation of DH5220 (your prop) was intended for the DH60G Gipsy Moth with the Gipsy Major engine, the DH82 Tiger Moth with the Gipsy III engine and the DH82A Tiger Moth with the Gipsy Major, series I engine.

There were no less than 18 sub variations of the DH 5220/L used on DH82 Tiger Moth!

Your DH87 Hornet Moth also used the Gipsy Major engine but with the prop drg no DH5234 in D, E, H and J variations.

None of this info above is absolute or complete; it's just what I have recorded so far!

With regards,

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 05-30-2009, 05:48 AM.
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for your reply; I think you probably have covered everything!

Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X