Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help appreciated in identifying, valuing and selling prop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help appreciated in identifying, valuing and selling prop.

Hello from Vancouver, BC, Canada

I have had a wooden propellor for 24 or so years and would like help in identilying it for the purpose of valuing and selling it as I no longer have space for it. It is in a good original condition which I think should be displayed on a restored aircraft that it suits. It does not appear to have ever been mounted. It has an original clear finish and still bears an inspection stamp by Inspector #3. I have photos but don't see how to add them. Thanks for any help and advice you can offer. Ron

Details.
    Laminated wood.
    Length / 86 1/4 inches
    Hub 9 1/4 inches across flat side.
    8 times 1/2 inch bolt pattern.
    6 inches thick from flat to flat side.
    Model 43K15131.
    Serial # / AF43B2296.
    Stamp on hub / B2296.
    Sensenich Bros.
    Inspection stamp / Inspected and approved No.3.

Hello Vancouver,

Your prop was made for the U.S. military on a contract let in 1943. For more precise possible usage please see the Sensenich design number 86RA-61 (the civilian designation) on my web page at http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/sensenich.htm

I would check the eBay completed auctions for some idea of its value although prices vary dramatically.

Lamar

Comment

Thank you Lamar

Thanks for the information Lamar. It was very quick and most helpful. I have been out of commission since I posted my request for help and will be away for another six weeks starting next week so I don't have much chance of following up until probably after Christmas.

Your website indicates that my prop is from a Fairchild which I have to admit I know nothing about. Does anyone know if this prop is desirable as a collector's piece. Where does it fit between 0 and 10 as collectable? Were there many made and did many suriive. Would there be someone somewhere looking for a good one to use in restoring what it would have been built for? Any further information or suggestions would be appreciated. Ron

Comment

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 it's right about in the middle. It's not a rare prop by any means, and its "collectibility" probably relates more to its condition than anything. In good condition, those props seem to sell on eBay for something in the $600 to $1000 range, but there are always exceptions.

It would be unusual to use it on a restoration, unless it was just for a static display. A new propeller of the same type is readily available in most cases.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave.
          That sheds a lot of light on the issue for me. I had initally thought it would have been a special piece due to it's new condition. I am away for six weeks but may try to sell it in the new year. Ron

Comment

Working...
          X