Curtiss propeller: need help identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss propeller: need help identifying

Hi All, I’m new to this forum. I got this wooden prop from a relative. I believe it is WWl timeframe. The research I’ve done suggests it is from an airboat because it has flat tips. The lettering on the hub is: (see attached pics)
    -DRGNPAD543
    -RH
    -D2520P1580
    -90PCURTISS
    -OX5
    -G731 N15

Any help identifying age, airboat or airplane prop, value, history, or anything else would be really appreciated.

Thx!!!
    Attached Files

It's what's left of a British propeller (Drawing number AD543) used for either a MF Shorthorn or a DeHavilland DH6.

The 2520 is the diameter in cm and 1580 is the pitch.

The engine is a 90 Hp Curtiss OX-5.

The "G" and "N" are production numbers, but I don't have a date associated with those.

The likely situation with the tips is that one or both were damaged (common with rough terrain, "gentle" crashes, ground loops, etc.) and were simply cut off, as the length based on the stamped data should be 8 feet, 3 inches.

Comment

Thank you! Appreciate your expert insight. That's great info.

I really love it and will be finding a place in my home so everyone will see it.

Comment

Pic with the prop stampings. Forgot to attach in initial post.
        Attached Files

Comment

An observation: No propeller can be used with the same engine in both tractor and pusher configurations. Being right handed, this propeller could be used in a tractor configuration only when fitted to a clockwise-rotating engine (such as the OX-5), so that would strongly suggest that it is from a DH-6.

Might the same design of propeller also have been used with a different (anti-clockwise) engine in the MF Shorthorn application?
          Last edited by Mtskull; 12-08-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
            An observation: No propeller can be used with the same engine in both tractor and pusher configurations. Being right handed, this propeller could be used in a tractor configuration only when fitted to a clockwise-rotating engine (such as the OX-5), so that would strongly suggest that it is from a DH-6.

Might the same design of propeller also have been used with a different (anti-clockwise) engine in the MF Shorthorn application?
            Good point. I only listed the MF Shorthorn because that's listed on the spec sheet I have, but I didn't realize at the time that it was a pusher, so something's incorrect in the listing. A left hand variant of the AD543 would likely have a different drawing number, so I think your assumption that this propeller was for a DH6 is correct.

Comment

Thanks Mtskull and Dbahnson for you insights. I'm documenting this for my files. This has been really helpful and appreciated.

Best, Jon

Comment

Working...
              X