Info on Early Propellers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Early Propellers ?

Hello Looking to obtain some information on a old wooden propeller that was my Great Grandfathers not sure much about it other then on the HUB its marked OX 5 8ft 4 in 1400 rpm AS 70mph S.C. N.O. 452222
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve-01; 04-12-2018, 05:24 PM.

That's a common size and pitch for the OX5 engine, which powered a number of aircraft for years during and after WW1. I would presume by the high "SC" (Signal Corps) number that it was likely manufactured in the twenties or thirties.

A common aircraft on which that might be used was the Curtiss Jenny, but there's no way to know that based on the information you have.

Can you post a photo of the entire propeller? It looks as if yours was never mounted on an aircraft but more likely was sold off a surplus when the OX5 became essentially obsolete.

Comment

Sorry for the delay I included a picture of the full propeller and what I assume is fiberglass ends !

Thanks again

Comment

That should be metal sheathing on the tips, usually copper or a copper alloy like brass. I'd say it was most likely manufactured for something like a Curtiss JN4 "Jenny", which was used primarily as a trainer and demolished a lot of propellers in the process.

That "toothpick" style was employed to save lumber, since it wasted much less lumber than the earlier scimitar shaped props, and they were produced in large numbers in the teens through the thirties.

Comment

Yes it does seem more like metal ... so what would be the value range on propeller like this any stabs in the dark... curiosity

Thanks again

Comment

I'm guessing that you'd get somewhere around $1000 on eBay. It might not sell for that or it might end up in a bidding war and go for more. It's really hard to predict.

Comment

Working...
            X