Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Types of Airfoils used on WWI German propellers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of Airfoils used on WWI German propellers?

I am looking at building a display propeller from a Fokker DVII. I have diameters and pitch but no airfoil information. Does anyone know of any specific airfoils that the Germans used on the manufacturing of their propellers: Heine, Wotan, Axial or Wolfe? I have heard of RAF-6 and Clark-Y just not sure if they used these.

I can't answer that, but I do have a DVII Axial propeller. I might be able to get some shape drawings along the blade.
    Dave

Comment

I'll accept any help that you can offer.

Comment

axial.

These were done some time back, read the description in photobucket. I have a plan view as well but photobucket does not like the size or format.

Comment

and how....

You can also make the templates by simply making a card frame that doesnt even tounch the blade.It was a U shaped card mounted over the top of the blade and down onto a flat surface where the blade was fixed, (I stapled the card to a light frame to assist keeping it square to the prop and vertical) a plastic ruler can be laid on the prop surface and longish lines marked on the card behind and in front, above of the blade at each station.
          Remove the tape the card down on a flat piece of paper and simply use a ruler to join up each lines giving you a pile of pens marks on the page that define the perimeter for a french curve to be used (or eyeball). No good for undercut concave blades but fine for flat bottomed ones. The plan view uses the same mounting board and a set square run around the perimeter marking the edges of the blade. Its easy stuff, but ensure that you have reference points at each station, and a centreline to work back from..I think the drawing covers most aspects. Oh yes...take really good rubbings or photos of the stampings.
          I for one would LOVE to see an 160Hp, 180Hp Axial, garuda or Heine prop dimensioned like this...Its GOLD.

Chris
          Last edited by sheppo; 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

a quick picture ...

Black is the inner edge of the U shaped card template, the bottom edges of the card obviously sit on the base, level with the face of the prop hub...
            Brown hatched area is the notional prop blade

Red lines indicate where the ruler sat on the blade and had a line marked at either end
            Green lines show how the template is created on card...join the dots stuff. Its quite surprisingly accurate with only a dozen or so lines!

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X