Flottorp prop decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flottorp prop decals

I am restoring an original 1934 Pietenpol Air Camper, and according to the paperwork, it had a Flottorp propeller, "wood, copper tipping". It would've been a custom prop, as the engine was a converted Ford Model A, and the model is listed as "7543", which fits with the normal diameter and pitch recommended for props for the Model A engine. Here is a copy of the original registration application showing the prop info:

I was able to track down the family of the original builders, and by a miracle they had old photo albums with some photos of the airplane when it was new. Here is one showing the prop:

Unfortunately the scan is from a small print, something like 3"x4", so much of the detail is lost, including the decals.

I would like to carve a new propeller to match the original one, and am trying to determine which Flottorp decal would've been used. There seem to be two variants in that time period, the "Both Blades Alike" version:

which seems to be common on OX-5 props, so maybe more correct for the 1929 time period, and the "Grand Rapids 6" version:

which I suspect is a later version, so possibly more correct?

Also, can anybody tell me the dimensions of those decals??

In addition, the prop looks quite dark in the photos, almost as if it was painted black. This is long before Flottorp props were black, but has anybody seen 1930s props painted rather than clear varnished? Perhaps it was just a dark wood, mahogony?

Thanks for any help-

-

Also, here's a photo of the airplane as bought, somewhat the worse for wear after 80 years, and the wing was gone (a replacement has since been purchased), but 90 per cent of the remaining structure should fly again:

If you are on Facebook you can go to "Pietenpol 14143" for many more photos and info on the project.

-

Comment

Flottorp Propeller!

Greetings Baldeagle, I have a Flottorp propeller that fits your description and I would guess dates to the 1930's. It is a 36 A 40L HP 50-55 for a Lycoming. It has darkened wood and copper tips. Decals are 2 7/8" long. If you would like to purchase it as a template for your new propeller, I would be glad to sell.
      Thanks, Scott
      msprior02@gmail.com[ATTACH]DSC05233.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05235.jpg[/ATTACH]

Comment

Neat prop Scott, thanks for the info and photos. What's the diameter? Do you have a good close-up of the numbers stamped in the prop?

-

Comment

flottorp propeller!

Baldeagle, The diameter is 72 1/4" Hub is 6 1/8" wide and 3 1/8" thick. Here is a pic of the engravings.
          Thanks, Scott
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X