Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification

I've been in posession of this propeller for many years. I'm finally getting around to trying to identifying it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KTE

Propeller Specs:

Lengh-100 ¾ inches
    Hub diameter 8 ½ inches
    8 Bolts in the hub

Writing on hub: TCHECOSLOVAQUIE PRAHA WALTER CSR

PRAGUE WALTER

Other marking: D-950 (stamped into blade)
    Attached Files

Hi,

Markings on the metallic hub seems from Walter (a Czeh engines manufacturer, see this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Aircraft_Engines) but the prop itself could be american: I think I see "... propellers" on the top of the decal and "USA" on the bottom.

Regards,
    PM

Comment

Hello,

Thanks, yes I did determine the hub had Czech markings on it, but was wondering how and why a Czech hub would end up on a US made propeller.

KTE

Comment

Looking at the history of Walter engines in the link Pierre Michel posted above, I notice a variety of engines that were produced under license. It wouldn't surprise me that hubs and propellers may also have been produced under license, and your prop may have a U.S. counterpart of some kind.
        Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks, I did look at the website and this could be a possibility. I'd like to know if anyone can recognize the label on the blade. I've not come across anything yet that looks similar.

KTE

Comment

Hi,

Pretty sure it is this one:

(see:http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/StoneSupreme.htm)

Happy New Year for all propeller snoopers... and for others also!
            Regards,
            PM

Comment

Happy New Year, PM and others!

That does look like a Stone decal and the prop itself is consistent with a Stone design, from the Stone props I've seen. (Picture here.)
              Dave

Comment

WOW, That's it!!! I've been looking forever, Thanks so much. Do you know much about these propellers, or could you reccomend a source to find out more?

KTE

Comment

Didn't see the link at first, Thanks, very interesting.

KTE

Comment

Any thoughts on what type of airplane this might have been attached to, given the manufacturer and the hub? Also, any thoughts on what the propeller might be worth?

Thanks,

KTE

Comment

Originally posted by KTE View Post
                      Any thoughts on what type of airplane this might have been attached to, given the manufacturer and the hub? Also, any thoughts on what the propeller might be worth?

Thanks,

KTE
                      Not without making a lot of guesses. There's just too much information missing to draw much in the way of conclusions about usage and/or value.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        Happy New Year, PM and others!

That does look like a Stone decal and the prop itself is consistent with a Stone design, from the Stone props I've seen. (Picture here.)
                        Dave,

What additional information would be required in your opinion to be able to better identify the usage and potential value.

KTE

Comment

We'd love to have it - a listing of all the Stone propeller drawing numbers and the aircraft for which they were designed. That information seems to be lost in history somewhere.
                          Dave

Comment

Dave,

I've sent information on the propeller to the Smithsonian to see what if anything they come up with. It seems the folks there also frequent this forum since they had seen my postings re. the prop. How does someone go about determining value and do you feel there is a market for this particular propeller?

Thanks,

Kyle

Comment

a very simple question

Hello KTE. Allow me to throw my hat in the ring so to speak in regards to your prop.

What you have there is a wonderful piece of history no doubt, my simple question is this, " why would you want to sell a prop like this?"

I say that only in regards to your question as to how to go about figuring what its worth. For my 8 cents worth, I say to you, you have such a rare prop in relation to what it is and its patina, collectors world wide would love to have it, but if you sell it, all you have is money, and money world wide is common in the sense of currency, but a prop of that quality and age such as you have, well to own it, is far better than the money that can be gotten for it, in my opinion.

That being said, I would hope that what ever the monetary value it ultimately has, by virtue of you already owning it, "that" is the true value of it. For once it is sold for mere money, regardless of the price, sooner or later long after the money is spent, I have a feeling that you will wonder why you ever sold it. And to even think of replacing it with another prop that can match it in make and patina, well the price would be high and not practical, but that is just my personal opinion.

Hang onto to your prop for as long as you can, you wont regret it.

Sincerely,
                              J. Dennis Hicklin
                              Seattle Washington
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by D.Hicklin; 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X