Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help to identify 100" propeller, possibly Curtis

Hi,

My father has owned this propeller for approximately 50 years, and we would like to see if anyone has any idea what plane model it is from.
    It was given to him by a barnstorming pilot back in the 50's, and he seems to think it is from a Curtis pusher.

It was obviously not used since it only has the center bore. It is mahogany and in perfect shape. It has only a few imprinted id numbers as you can see in the photo. The ruler in the photo is 4 ft.

If anyone has any ideas, we would appreciate the information very much. Our family has been wondering what it is for a long time now.
    Thanks.

The dimensions are:

Length: 100.5"
    Center hub: 7.5" in diameter
    Center bore: 1 3/8"
    Blade width: 9"
    Blade Depth: 1 1/8"
    Hub depth: 3 3/4"

[/quote]

What is the first character? It looks like an "H", but I can't tell from the photo.
    Dave

Comment

It does appear to be an "H", however the center horizontal line is very hard to make out. I do see the left and right vertical lines, so it almost has to be.

What type is the propeller in your avatar? It looks a little similar to mine. Thanks.

Comment

Many props looks very similar. The avatar is a propeller Sopwith Pup, but if you compare the two you'll see major differences, the most notable being the direction of rotation. YOurs is a left hand rotation and the Pup is a right hand rotation. The hub dimensions can be very important in identification. Unfortunately, the hub in yours was never drilled so you really can't narrow it down to a likely engine. The overall size might be consistent with an OX5 engine, and if so the left hand rotation would also be consistent with a pusher.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any Curtis pusher experts or resources I could go to to try and find out for sure? If its in a pre-drilled state and its not possible to totally identify, how much does that affect the value? A lot I assume. Do you know what year-range this propeller might have been made? What year did they stop making pushers? I appreciate your responses!

Comment

It's hard to assign a value to it anyway, but it would be less for a propeller that was never completed.

I have similar one in my collection. I'll see if I can dig it out of the garage and compare it to yours. It may have been intended for use on one of the Curtiss "H" series flying boats in the teens or early twenties.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X