Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Propeller found in CA barn

Hi
    I need help- this propeller was found in a barn. I have no idea what it is off of or who made it, or year of manufacture. Any help I can get would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

It might be a dirigible prop, but I can't identify it.

Comment

Thank you. Any idea what the numbers mean? And could the U.S.P. be a manufacture?

Comment

One is probably a serial number and the other likely a design number, but I have no references that show anything that even resemble that nomenclature, which further makes me suspect that it is more likely a dirigible. (For whatever reason, some of the dirigible props I've seen have been painted silver.) The USP may be the manufacturer (U.S. Propellers, which made a lot of drone props, also made quite a few props for certificated aircraft) so that's a possibility although I suspect that the stamping is that of an inspector, perhaps inspector number 2 at whatever manufacturer he worked for.

Comment

What horsepower engine would this 12 foot propeller been used on? Thank you again.

Comment

What's the diameter of the bolt hole circle? That might provide a clue.

Comment

Good Morning Dave,

Twelve feet is an enormous diameter, rarely used, except on a few airships and German giant aircraft of WW1. But none of them look like this one.

I wonder if this prop might not be helical in design? In other words, that it will not screw its way through the air?

If it comes from a drone aircraft, twelve feet diameter would suggest an enormous target drone. The British once used radio controlled DH Tiger Moth aircraft in this role (called Queen Bees). These aircraft had a prop with a diameter of around six feet. Perhaps American gunners needed larger targets than British gunners! (I meant to add a smiley here to indicate my joke but I've failed!)

If the prop came from a drone or from a farmers' mill used to pump water for irrigation it would probably not need brass sheathing on the blade leading edges. Similarly, nor would a prop from an airship or dirigible.

It is beautifully constructed from laminations which rules out any decorative function such as advertising or as a mock up for the film industry.

I remain baffled!

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
              X