Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Wood Propeller

Hi;
    I have a propeller which presumably is off a SE-5a which bears the engine name on it HISPANO SUIZA WOLESLEY VIPER
    I have numbers on the propeller which i am unsure of,presumably two of them being the drawing number and the serial number.
    I would be grateful if someone would be able to inform me what these numbers refer to and if there are any old records available as to its tracability to a particular aircraft?

Numbers shown are;

GL433N51
    AB662GBH
    D2400

Thanks;
    Regards Dave

E-Mail davegribble@inspire.net.nz

Hi Dave,

Sadly props are not traceable in any form and certainly not to aircraft. Your drawing number, AB662C RH, indicates use with an ungeared Hisso 200hp engine and the British version, the Wolseley Viper. The prop was used on the SE5A and the Sopwith Dolphin, Diameter and pitch are 2400mm and 1750mm.

With regards,

Bob
    www.aeroclocks.com
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Reply Re WW1 Propeller

Thanks for the info on the propeller Bob.
      Interesting that they displayed the Diameter & Pitch in mm. That confused me as i expected to see those measurements in imperial measurements.
      I think that the history of the propeller is from the Australian RAAF fleet SE-5a aircraft with the Australian Flying Corps.
      Regards
      Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

After the Wright Bros made the first sustained powered flight, aviation gradually became moribund in the States. It was France in Europe that became the intellectual power house, particularly in the design of props and hence almost all prop dimensions were measured in mm.

Enjoy your prop!

Bob
        www.aeroclocks.com
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X