Flottorp Kinetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flottorp Kinetics?

I have recently acquired a beautiful prop that I think is a Flottorp from the information I found on your Flottorp page and from looking at pictures. The prop has really peaked my interest. I've searched on the internet, looked for the company in Grand Rapids, MI history, and read all that I have found, but really haven't found much. I would like to be certain of what company made the prop and would like to know about the history of the company. There are no decals on it. I would like to buy decals, if possible.
    I believe the prop is for a 65-85 hp Continental engine. It has 27 laminations. The markings on it are:
    SER. A25689E
    MOD. 72A46 (Does this mean 72" in length and 46 degrees of
    pitch? What does the "A" mean?)
    T.C. 802 (What does T.C. stand for?)
    P.C. 406 (What does P.C. stand for?)

In a photo on a website I saw a very similar looking prop which had a decal that said Kinetics and Flottorp. What does Kinetics have to do with Flottorp? Does anyone know of a book about the history of Flottorp?
    Thanks to anyone who could answer some of my questions.
    Pete

In the Model number designation, the 72 does indeed indicate 72 inches in diameter, the 'A' indicates it was made for an Aeromarine engine (40 hp or 50 hp) and 46 is the pitch.

TC 802 is the number of the type certificate for the prop issued by the FAA or its predecessor the CAA. I have no idea what PC 406 indicates.

27 laminations is a huge number; I'd very much like to see photos of this prop. If possible, please post them here or email them to me and I'll post them for you if you like.

To my knowledge there is no book that details the history of Flottorp props. Over the years different companies and individuals have owned some or all the type certificates for these props. Apparently Kinetics was one of these companies.

Comment

Flottorp Propeller

Pete.
      To answer your questions.
      PC stands for "Production Certificate" the TC stands for the Type Certificate number and the A designates the drawing number as there are different drawings for say a 72 A verses a plain 72 or a 72B.
      Ole Flottorp started making propellers in 1906 for the Wright brothers. In 1913 he moved into a facility at Cicero Field in Chicago and began production there. Later he opend a facility in Grand Rapids, MI when he got the government contract for all of the military Jenny props.
      Hope this answers your questions.
      Bob

Comment

Working...
      X