Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 144" Prop ID Help

Hi All,

New here and hoping someone might be able to help ID this prop. I checked the hub dims as suggested on the main page. Here's what I have…

• Number of Bolt Holes: 8
    • Center Bore Diameter (metal): 3 1/8"
    • Bolt Hole Circle: 8"
    • Hub Diameter (metal): 10”
    • Bolt Size: 1/2"
    • Hub Thickness: 7” (approx)
    • Propeller length: 144” (yes, 12' feet tip to tip)

Based on the chart - it could have been fit to a Liberty 12 engine

Also - found some very faint markings that are hard to make out.

N 734 (or possibly 1N 734) - smaller marking
    3029 - large marking (each number is approx an inch tall)

And there appears to be makers mark (logo?) on each side of the hub on an oval shape that is flatter at the top. Almost appears to read STORY - not sure though.

Also, appears to be a pusher. I had thought it might have been from a float plane or air ship.

See photos below (Sorry I could not get one shot of the entire prop - will have to try again with a ladder)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by v8sharkie; 11-22-2017, 06:17 AM.

It certainly fits the parameters for a Liberty engine prop. Note that it is a left hand thread, so its use on the Liberty engine would almost certainly have been a pusher configuration. There were literally thousands of these kind of props manufactured for the Navy in the late teens and early twenties, primarily for their development of a wide variety of flying boats. If you look closely around the hub you may see a tiny 4 bladed (boat) propeller with U.S.N. stamped in the little blades.

Comment

V8 Sharkie's prop

Dave,

I have copied the photograph of Sharkie's decal for my photo collection. Can you identify it?

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

No, but there was a "Story" company that was involved at some point in propeller production. I'd have to look through some old stored documents to see if I can find anything to support that further.

(Bob, I'm happy to hear that you are recovering from those ailments. Thanks for returning to the forum!!!)

Comment

Dave & Bob - thanks so much for your help!

I would certainly be interested in any info on the Story company if this is indeed from them.

I had also considered this might be a Gipsy prop (since the logo is so hard to read). The reason I thought this a possibility is because the seller also had a Gipsy Witch prop. And I have found that there were Gipsy engines that were left hand tractors. Since the prop is larger, I assume the plane would be, as well. So, I thought I would see if any Gipsy engines or other left hand tractors might have been fitted to a plane that required a 12' prop.

On the other hand, to support the Flying Boat/Navy pusher prop possibility... the seller from who I purchased it was in the US Navy and an avid aviation collector. Perhaps he came across this during his career (now in his mid 80s).

I will look again today with better lighting for additional markings and the 4 blade USN mark.

Thank you again for your help!

Comment

Sharkie,

Congratulations on finding such a rare prop.

With kind regards,

Bob

__________________________________________________ __

No, but there was a "Story" company that was involved at some point in propeller production. I'd have to look through some old stored documents to see if I can find anything to support that further.

(Bob, I'm happy to hear that you are recovering from those ailments. Thanks for returning to the forum!!!)

Dave,

Thank you for your kind regards which I much appreciate. And I'm delighted to be back here.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Dave & Bob - So I came across another matching Story propeller to the one I already have! Again 12' and pusher in green. I have a sneaking suspicion that both of these were sold at the same auction some 30 years ago and split up... now reunited (based on the histories I've been given).

I'll have to double check my research, but from what I recall I had approximately dated the previous to around 1920 or so (sometime before Story was Story-Gawley). And possible use for Curtiss HS float plane.

I believe I recall reading somewhere that two blades would be double stacked on each other in a perpendicular position on the same engine for this purpose. Ever heard of this?

I was also suspecting the green finish was added to be more water resistant.

Also, Bob - I came across another very nice Story propeller decal on a listing from eBay that you might like to see.

Comment

Here is the new prop...

Stamped Story logos covered with green finish - #4015
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Sharkie,

How astonishing to find two identical props both twelve feet long and both painted in that unusual shade of green. Congratulations on finding them.

Thank you for the tip about a Story decal on eBay. I'll go in search!

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Sharkie,

I've done an eBay search and a Google search for a Story decal, with no success. Can you give me a link?

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                    X