No announcement yet.

1/8 scale Axial propeller for Hasegawa Dr.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found a much better photo of 152 / '17 but the laminations are not particularly clear. Here's a good photo which clearly shows three species, probably Mahogany, Walnut and Ash or Birch.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi David,

I am having the same problems, all photos that I can find have the tailplane in the foreground, hindering a good view of the propeller. I would be extremely happy with the seven layer lamination I mentioned earlier, as this is suggested in Paul Leaman's excellent book on the Fokker Dr1. It also contains the typical propeller indentification stamping layout - is their any way to incorporate this into your example?

Comment

Hi Ryan,

I had a response typed but I had to re - start the computer, so I lost it. A detailed response such as this can take hours to type because my keyboard does not work properly.

So, a standard propeller it is then. Interestingly, I don't think a single German propeller would have been built with such perfectly regular laminations but the drawings depict what a typical propeller might have looked like if built strictly to specifications.

If you would like a propeller with 4 laminations of Birch and 3 laminations of Walnut, I have only noted this apparent combination on 139 / '17, from Jasta 11, flown by Ltn von Conta. Others, such as 141 / '17, 154 / '17, 163 / '17 and 203 / '17 have two layers, in each of these cases the extreme front and rear laminations made from Ash or Birch, and the remaining laminations are Mahogany and / or Walnut. A triplane believed to have been 212 / '17 of Jasta 2 and another triplane, possibly from Jasta 15, in front of which Ltn Hans Müller posed for a photo had two laminations of Ash and / or Birch mixed in, more towards the centre.

I could simply reverse the order of the laminations if you would like me to, so that there is Ash or Birch at the front and rear of the propeller, and then alternate the Mahogany or Walnut, resulting in a simulation of 4 laminations of birch and 3 laminations of walnut.

I have been using Ash and Mahogany, which are the species my research has indicated were used in the manufacture of German propellers. I now believe that at least three, and possibly four or more species were commonly used. I have had an original Garuda propeller examined on many occasions, and even the experts can't agree amongst themselves whether the light timber is Ash, Birch or even Elm. The fact that Achim Engels and Paul Leaman have specified Birch must be given very careful consideration. They are both very well known and respected experts in their fields. I believe that at 1-8 scale Australian Ash, which I used in the first propeller represents Ash, Elm and / or Birch quite well, and it is plentiful so I will use it unless you specifically would like Birch. I don't, however believe that the large, open grain will be convincing at such a relatively small scale unless, perhaps it was used strictly as quarter sawn timber. Mahogany works quite well at 1-8 scale, as I assu0e Walnut would as well. I should be able to obtain Walnut quite easily, so I could use it if you would like me to.

I am very interested in incorporating the stamps! I should buy the book, but in the meantime if you could post a copy here or send me an image of the typical stamps used I will see what I can do.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Hi David,
          How is the sanding process coming along?
          Sam

Comment

Hi Sam,

I had nearly finished sanding the propeller, but I noticed some glue lines so I had to go back to a more coarse grade.

I took some photos a few days ago and will post them now. It takes a long time to type any response, so I will keep this one short, and will post some more photos soon.

Regards,

David.
            Attached Files

Comment

David,
              It is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Sam

Comment

Thanks Sam!

I've been sanding it with 120 grade sand paper but it's not removing the deeper ridges so I will see if there's a grade in between.

I've also been working on a profile tracer, so that subsequent propellers will hopefully not take anywhere near as long as this one.

If you read this, Ryan, I would like to know if you would like me to build a "standard" propeller like this one, but with the species reversed, which would give the appearance of the laminations you specified.

Regards,

David.
                Attached Files

Comment

David,
                  Go ahead and send it to me. I'll take it from here.
                  Sam

Comment

OK Sam, no problem!

I've seen your work and it is clear to me that you could make a propeller to that standard too!

Some of the glue lines are still too thick, and be very careful not to over - sand it. It's not as easy as you might think, I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,

David.

Comment

Hi David,

That would be great. I will pm you the other details as discussed in the next couple of days. My apologies for not replying for a while, have been flat out.

Ryan

Comment

David,
                        Thanks for all your great work. I'll post pictures when I've finished the propeller.
                        Sam

Comment

Hi David,

Here is that information from Paul Leaman's book

Ryan
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi David,
                            Did you get a chance to send the propeller yet?
                            Sam

Comment

David,
                              The propeller arrived and looks great! When compared to the Hasegawa DR-1 propeller it is unbelievable. Your propeller is so much better and more accurate! Thanks for all your hard work. Anyone else looking for a magnificent 1:8 scale propeller need look no further, ask David for one!!
                              Sam
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's another shot of the comparison.
                                Sam
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X