Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification "Regy Hélices Paris" propeller

Dear all,

At the www.theaerodrome.com forum I was advised to ask here.

I am trying to find some info on a propeller that has been in our family (see attached pictures).

My grandfather (KLM flight engineer 1929-1963) had this prop hanging in his house and it is now hanging at my parents house.

I didn't measure the length yet but it seems to be around 1,30-1,50 meters. The leading edges are metal covered (brass.copper?). The decals say: Regy Hélices Paris.

The 4 pictures were taken when I was there last time. Next time I will take more detailed and better pictures of the hub and the blades.

With kind regards,

Robert

p.s. not sure if this should go in 'early wood props' or 'later wood props'

I noticed the pictures show up very big in the post.
    To see the pictures at a smaller format see my post at:
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64233

Robert

Comment

Are there design (drawing) numbers stamped on the prop (usually on the hub)?

I'm guessing that it's probably post WW1 era, but let's see if someone knows more about it first.

Comment

I havent taken a closer look at all sides of the hub (the prop is hanging quite high up) but I will do that on a next visit.
        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
          Are there design (drawing) numbers stamped on the prop (usually on the hub)?

I'm guessing that it's probably post WW1 era, but let's see if someone knows more about it first.
          Hi Bob,

It is from the sixties, as stamped on the hub (February 12th 1964, French pattern: dd - mm - yy). The triangular stamp is there because the prop was found not airworthy. Markings on the sides will tell for which a/c and engine it was made. Perhaps a 60 or 65 HP Continental from the small length.

Regards,
          PM

Comment

Hi PM,
            On another forum it was suggested that "the prop was made/controlled on 12/2/1964 (French way date dd - mm - yy) and the prop was found not airworthy (small triangular shaped hallmarks)."
            So could the date be manufacture or inspection date?
            Robert

Comment

Hi,
              If the "other forum" is The Aerodrome, I am the same people who answered you... The "propeller world" is very small!
              On the flat side of the hub, the date is both: manufacture and inspection! If the prop is inspected again (generally after repair), the "new" date is stamped on the side of the hub (prop number side). This practice is for after WW2. It is made a different way before. And for France only (don't know about other countries).
              About Régy making prop for pre-WW2 a/c, I have never seen one with the shape of yours. All the ones I saw (not so much, perhaps 50) were for light civil a/c, like SIPA, Piper, CP and Jodel. As the serial number has the pattern 19xx, some sellers think (or try to convince the potentially buyers...) they were made in 19xx. There was one on eBay which was for sale for more than 2 years for which the seller was tellling it was from 1902!!! (Régy serial 1902 was for SIPA 90 and 901 a/c ...). I hope nobody bought it!
              Regards,
              PM
              Last edited by pmdec; 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hi PM,
                Indeed I noticed the same initials at The Aerodrome
                I did fly 2 Pipercup's from 1954 (still in original camouflage colors) in the Netherlands for some time in the 90's, mainly bannertowing, but they had a metal prop already. However, I think the engines were upgraded at some time as it had 135 hp instead of the original 90 hp. Somehow I remember 150 hp but when I search online the same planes show as 135 hp. As far as I can see they are still flying (reg's PH-ZCT and PH-APA).
                Robert

Comment

In the post below I see a prop with a very similar shape, specially the edge/tip covering and also 6 holes in the hub. Maybe it is a bit larger. Different manufacturer though (USA). Also the (coloring?) edges of the wood are on a different position on the blades.

http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/s...ead.php?t=1984
                  Last edited by Flyingd; 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM. Reason: realised PM meant he did not see a pre WW2 prop like this..

Comment

Working...
                  X