Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Value of DH4 cut-down propellor (gun timing marks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of DH4 cut-down propellor (gun timing marks)

Hi,

Firstly, congrats on the website. It is great.

Secondly, I would like to know the approximate value of a propellor I believe to be from an Airco DH4. The propellor has been cut down and gilded at either end.

The top of the hub has the following stampings:
    G864.N79
    DEH
    200 HP BHP Siddeley

The underside has the following stampings:
    G864.N79
    AB 7031
    D 2750
    P 2530

And the front of the hub has these stampings:
    G864.N79
    A 1451

Plus also some very small stampings that look like inspection marks.

The propellor has a white painted line at the base of one blade an inch or two from the hub, and "Gun Timing" stamped above it.

You can see photos online at:
    http://www.franchiseadvice.com.au/in...id=67&Itemid=0

Thanks in advance. Hope someone can help me.

Cheers,

Jason
    Jason Gehrke, Brisbane, Australia

Hi Jason,

It could be from a DH4 or DH9. The use of the term 'BHP Siddeley' rather than just 'Siddeley' suggests that it is an early example of this prop and hence from a DH4. You might wish to see if the RAAF brought any home with them, or if RAAF Sqns used them in Europe or Africa, or if the some DH4's were shipped out to Australia under the Empire Gift Scheme of 1920.

Whilst it's a nice example, cut down props do not command very much. Here in the UK it would sell for around 100-150 gbp.

With regards,

Bob
    www.aeroclocks.com
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,
      Do you think that red paint in the lettering (and maybe inside the hub center hole) is original, or added later?

(BTW, I got the CD and am anxious to review it now that I'm done with my daughter's wedding this past weekend.)
      Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I think that the hub was probably painted red at some time and most has been polished off. Between the wars, both the RAF and the RAAF painted their aircraft silver with sqn markings, which might have included a red hub to the prop. This might help identify which RAAF sqn it flew with.

If there is colour in the impressed letters on a hub, it generally indicates a presentation piece. It was not much done on British props. The Germans used gold paint and I have seen three or four examples, which might perhaps suggest that one maker finished all his props like this. It is certainly attractive.

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Jason, i've also PM'd you but it didn't show up in my outbox - do you still have the propellor, and if so, are you still willing to sell it?

Best regards, and merry christmas, Rob

Comment

Working...
          X