Prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ID

Great Forum. I searched all of the sections for the Flottorp propeller identifications. I was given this prop as a gift many years ago. It is not in great shape but worthy of mounting on a wall.

Here is what I have found.

TC 843
    Ser 202
    702 CD
    72 inches
    65 HP 2600 rpm
    6 holes
    I also have the pitch and bolt holes and patterns.
    Leading edge is metal protected. From the tip down 24 inches. The ends are coated in black plastic material.

I would like to find what plane it might have powered. I think it was a Cub.

Thanks for any help.

The Type Certificate (TC 843) was issued to Univair and included their model number 702 CD, which was likely used on a variety of aircraft that used a 65 HP Continental, Franklin, or Lycoming engine. So it could have been used on a number of different aircraft, the Cub certainly being among the possibilities.

Not sure exactly why it's a Flottorp, but it was not unusual for one manufacture to make them under another manufacturer's type certificate and some kind of agreement.

What is the pitch on yours? If you have that you can look at the Univair page and find all of the 72 prefix numbers that are used on 65 HP engines, then narrow it down by the suffix number corresponding to the pitch on yours.

I moved this to the "Modern" category, since it likely was manufactured in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's . . .
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the great response. There is a 44 stamped in two places so I would surmise that is 44 inches?? That fits the range shown on the paper I have.

Comment

If you put it all together (72" diameter, 44" pitch, 65 HP engine, and Univair Type Certificate) it does pretty much narrow it down to a J3.
        Dave

Comment

Dave, any idea of the vintage? Would serial number 202 be a lower numbe or towards the higher end of production.

Comment

No way of telling. Sensenich has published a correlation of serial numbers and dates but I think they're the only ones. The other complicating factor is that type certificates were often transferred, and another company might begin production with a different series of numbers, both drawing and serial.

My hunch is it's "earlier" rather than "later" but I don't think that narrows it down very much.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X