Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller restoration

Hello,
    I recently got a wooden prop and I'm interrested to restore it. That a Gipsy Major prop, the varnish is scratched and flakes away.

The hub is varnished wood. It's important to me to keep all the original marking. Is anyway prefered method to remove varnish? What kind of varnish should I use?

The blades are covered with a unknow (for me) kind of cloth (look like a fiberglass layer that extend about 2 inches inboard of the metal leading edge limit and look to be installed under this metal leading edge.) Since I'd like to see full wooden blades but I prefer to keep the prop as authentic as I could so I want to save this feature. Can I sand it and just paint it?

Restoring the decals mean for me to replace them. Where can I find those decals? The remains of the original decals look like RLLCo (Laidlaw Lumber Company) decal I saw in other post.

Thank you for your attention, if my questions are not clean, it may be due to my limited english capacity, just ask me to reformulate.

Merci,

Philippe

In general, it is best NOT to try to "restore" a propeller. See this link.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you for this advice. But I'm scared to rub the surface with linseed oil since blades are covered with cloth which is bare from its varnish at several places. I will not do it but may be I could improve its appearance by another way?

There is paint stains on the hub that I would like to remove (Probably from inadequate handling or storing of the prop). Is it any gentle way to remove them without damaging the varnish?

Comment

Propeller Restoration

Philippe.
        I agree you should not try to restore the prop in any way. Not trying to be harsh, but because you have no restoration experience you will most likely ruin the value of the prop. Even if you have an experienced antique restoration person work on the prop, it will probably de-value it a lot.
        If you want a better looking antique prop, one idea would be to try to make a trade with someone.
        Could you post a picture. I think everyone would love to see what you have.
        Best regards.
        Bob

Comment

The best thing to do is polish it at monthly intervals with pure bees wax polish out of a tin. Don't use an aerosol. It's likely to have modern silicones added which can react with old varnish.

I emphasise the comments of those above. Its value lies in its originality. It is quite proper for a prop of this age to have paint splashes on it etc. It is part of its history. Consider buying a better example of the same prop and displaying them together.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Well my propeller is not perfect, but I will not trade it. Its history is unique and that's a bigger value than any other props for me.

I'm going to find bee wax polish.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X