Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop blade ID req'd, please

Hi all,

With reference to the attached pictures can any one identify this prop blade?
    It's 10 1/2" (approx) wide and 46" high, although it has been cut off. The leading edge is covered in 5 sections of Copper, maybe Brass?
    With 39 rivets securing them to the leading edge. It appears to have been covered in fabric at one time, there are traces of it still present under the edge of the metal on the leading edge. There is a cross hatch pattern still visible on the prop surface, which I think was scored into the prop surface to enable the fabric to bond to the propellers' surface when the fabric 'glue' was applied.
    Interestingly, it appears to have been exposed to heat at some stage in it's life because the lower part of the leading edge cover has been discoloured in such a way to suggest heat exposure. Also there are scorch marks on the propellers 'surface near to this area. Maybe that is why it does not have its covering?

Well many thanks in advance!

Regs
    B
    Attached Files

It's almost impossible to identify from that alone (it's like a fragment of a tire - could have been any tire).

Look closely at the grain on the cut cross section. If it is made up of uniform laminations, like plywood, it's probably a piece of a constant speed prop which attached to a hub. The blade geometry certainly suggests that usage as well.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,
      Thanks for that reply, I did not think that identifying this blade would be easy, but the tip of this blade does seem distinctive which might have narrowed down the options. I also thought that the metal covered leading edge might have suggested a military use?
      Regs
      B

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo1 View Post
        Hi Dave,
        I also thought that the metal covered leading edge might have suggested a military use?
        Not at all. Most civilian wooden propellers after the 20's/30's had metal sheathing of some kind.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X