Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 09-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
vintage prop

Default Help with Vintage propellar

I have a wooden propeller that was stored in my father basement for years. Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer and determine if its worth anything?

96" long; 2.5" center diameter

Markings around the hub: SE 274 9-XXO LH 89

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (13.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (19.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (17.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (19.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (19.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (19.9 KB, 9 views)
vintage prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

It's almost certainly a pusher prop used on one of the many flying boats being developed in the late teens and early twenties. Note the anchor stamp, used by the Navy.

The "SE" prefix in the model number refers to "Steam Engineering", which was the Navy department that was responsible for procurement of propeller.

"LH" refers to "left hand" thread, which usually is associated with a tractor engine mounted backwards on the fuselage, so it becomes a pusher instead of a tractor by reversing the thread direction.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Mtskull

I think the “9-XXO” marking should be read the other way up, and refers to the Curtiss OXX-6 engine. This is consistent with the prop being a pusher, also with it being from a flying boat of the WW1 era or slightly later.
Wikipedia has a list of aircraft that used this engine; many can be ruled out due to being of a tractor configuration.
If I were a betting man, my money would be on it being from an Aeromarine 40 or a Curtiss Model F.

Last edited by Mtskull; 09-23-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Mtskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtskull View Post
I think the “9-XXO” marking should be read the other way up, and refers to the Curtiss OXX-6 engine. This is consistent with the prop being a pusher, also with it being from a flying boat of the WW1 era or slightly later.
Wikipedia has a list of aircraft that used this engine; many can be ruled out due to being of a tractor configuration.
If I were a betting man, my money would be on it being from an Aeromarine 40 or a Curtiss Model F.
Good point. I didn't realize that those characters were stand-alone, and it certainly didn't make a lot of sense in the sequence listed, so I think your assumption is spot on.

I'll see if I can find any reference to the rest of the model number, but I'm not optimistic that it was recorded.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:58 AM   #5
vintage prop

I appreciate the quick replies. With the information you guys provided, I will do additional research on the propeller. Great forum!
vintage prop is offline   Reply With Quote