SE5a Prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear from you again, Rower.

Many thanks for this additional data, which I have added to my database.

The Imperial Gift scheme was a splendid idea which made a contribution to the AFC and several other fledgling airforces in Canada, South Africa, India etc. But it was not quite the noble idea of the British Government that it seems.

The British Government was in severe difficulties for much of WW1 because of its tendency to over control the aviation industry with an inflexible bureaucracy and this continued after the sudden end of the war when some contracts were allowed to continue due to uncertainty about what the Germans would do next, and because civil servants were loathe to put their brethren in the Government Aircraft Factories out of work. The result was 1919 arrived with 25,000 surplus aircraft and a further 2000 or so new aircraft arriving every month.

The government set up the aircraft disposal company, run by a civil service unfettered by business accumen or initiative. And was once again castigated in parliament and the press.

In parliament, the member for Blackpool, Colonel Ashley, asked if surplus aircraft could be donated to the Dominions and Crown Colonies for use with the postal and other services. The Government grasped this straw with some relief.

Postscript; The drg no on the Melbourne prop is AB662C. And it has Right Hand rotation.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

SE5a propeller

Sorry to hijack this thread as my request is not about props but about the means of mounting them. I am searching for information that will allow me to manufacture the metal hub that mounts a wooden 2 blade prop to a 150hp Hispano Suiza on an SE5a.
      Can anyone help me locate this data?

Comment

SE5a Prop cleaned and waxed

As promised, here is a pic of the cleaned and waxed SE5a prop now mounted on the wall.

Will attempt to take a better quality pic and re-post but this pic gives an idea of how it came up with steel wool and pure beeswax.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X