Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What commercial products do you use to polish and protect your props?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What commercial products do you use to polish and protect your props?

Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a while and learned a lot, and I have a couple of items to show off and ask about once I get some decent pictures taken, but first I wanted to ask what commercial brands of polish and cleaners people are using. Both of my items have original varnish (as far as I can tell) with some crazing but basically intact.

"Pure beeswax" polish as recommended seems hard to come by unless you make it up yourself, which means adding turpentine - or some kind of oil - to get it to flow, but this is a no-no, correct?

A woodworking store near me stocks a polish called "Antiquax" which is beeswax/carnauba blend and looks good, but this and similar products have a consistency similar to shoe polish, so would take a fair amount of elbow grease to rub in. Wouldn't that possibly have a bad effect on the original finish?

Thinner polishes are more oil-based (such as orange oil) but I read here to stay away from them. And what would be wrong with using Pledge or some other supermarket aerosol polish?

So what are _you_ using to protect your wooden prop? I'm in the US but have UK connections, but I would hope that the best polishes would be available globally (assuming that people here can agree on them!). Thank you for reading this far!
    Last edited by tweesdad; 08-12-2011, 12:45 AM.

I use Johnson's paste wax in a can.

Lamar

Comment

I use lemon pledge to both clean and protect my wood propellers after flying.

Comment

Working...
      X