Vintage propeller identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage propeller identification

Hi AS a newbie to the forum I need a little help and hope this is the right place. I have purchased 2 props recently and need some help identifying them :
    I will add details of the second prop later but the first I believe could be an SE5 prop ?
    See pics added
    Any help appreciated
    Attached Files

Newbie myself who just identified a propeller. Getting measured dimensions a big help identifying. Look at the "propeller identification early propeller section" and get the hub dimensions. Then length. Helps the more seasoned members/fellows out quite a bit.

Comment

The "DG 2386" presumably is the "Drawing Number" of 2386, which is usually the way the prop is identified, but I can't seem to find reference to that number in my sources. Bob Gardner or Pierre-Michel might have some other source that would help.

What's on the other side of the hub? The information seems scant by comparison to most similar props.

Comment

Hi,

It's clearly a Chauvière made in England. With a very well preserved decal: take care of it!
        Chauvière serial numbers were different in England and France. I think Bob will be delighted to see this prop because, IMHO, this serial (2386) is not in his book... So, as gchuba wrote, length, hub thickness, size of the central hole and diameter of the bolt holes circle will be very useful.

From the general shape, it is a "late" production (1918-1921).

Regards,
        Pierre-Michel

Comment

Thanks Guys
          length 410cm
          hole centre to hole centre 14.5cm
          centre hub hole diam 6.7cm
          Hub diam approx 19.9cm
          hub depth 13.3cm

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Neila View Post
            Thanks Guys
            length 410cm
            hole centre to hole centre 14.5cm
            centre hub hole diam 6.7cm
            Hub diam approx 19.9cm
            hub depth 13.3cm

hope this helps

410cm= 13ft 5.417323in

That doesn't seem at all consistent with the photo. Did you mean 310 cm?

Comment

Ah yes
              Let me check

Comment

Length 240cm

Comment

That makes more sense.

Comment

Hi
                    have the dimensions helped at all for anyone to help me identify ?

Comment

This small forum has never been accused of being lightning fast, and two of the most helpful experts, Bob Garner and pmdec, don't check in every day or even in some cases every week or so.

I don't have any new information based on the length except that it makes more sense and some props can be eliminated as possibilities but positive identification requires making sense of the blueprint number ("DG" number of 2386).

Comment

Hi,

I can't add anything useful: 2386 is not a known serial (drawing) in France for Chauvière (or for any maker of the WW1 era).The size (2.40 meter) is quite common: there are 14 different French made propellers with a diameter between 2.35 and 2.45 meters and used for Hispano engine. From these 14, none have a 13.3 cm thick hub. French hubs fitting sizes were standardized to 4 patterns (A, B, C and ... D, yes!) and none have the numbers you wrote.

Sorry not being able to help,
                        Regards,
                        PM

Comment

Is it possible to ask bob Gardner to have a look at this prop as it's an English prop ? Not sure how to ask his help ?
                          Thanks

Comment

It is an Integral Propeller Company prop made in Great Britain to a Levasseur design for the 150hp Hispano-Suiza engine in the SPAD 7.

With kind regards,

Bob
                            Bob Gardner
                            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks bob really appreciated
                              Regards neil

Comment

Working...
                              X