Propeller Identifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identifications

Good evening, I’m looking for some information on a wooden propeller that our family has had for many years. It was given to me from my great grandfather.
    88” long, 8 bolt pattern on the hub, S&S stickers on blades, DRG 200D engraved on blade, side of hub reads Cheetah MKX Oxford May 1942 and looks like a few numbers that I can’t make out. I’ve wanted to learn more about this after my father passed away years ago but always put it on the back burner. If anyone can help provide some knowledge of this beautiful propeller, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I’m sure there will be those on this forum who will be able to give you more details of “S&S” as the manufacturer and maybe interpret the inscription “DRG200D” but the main details are self evident: Your propeller was made in May 1942, for an Airspeed Oxford aircraft fitted with Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah X engines.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_Oxford

Comment

If you search this forum (using the search feature at the top of this page) you'll find quite a bit of information about S&S Propellers.

A close look at the hub can usually determine if the propeller has been mounted for use or was just acquired as surplus, which often happened as wooden propellers were replaced with metal versions.

The Oxford was normally powered by a pair of Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah X air-cooled radial engines, capable of generating 340 hp.[5] These were initially outfitted with wooden fixed-position de Havilland-built propellers, but had been designed from the onset to accommodate variable-pitch propellers when these became available.[12
      I've moved this to the "Modern" category

Comment

PB72, please could you post some photos?

Comment

Hi there, I can’t seem to find a way to post some photos of my prop??

Comment

Hit "Reply", which opens up a dialog box. Beneath that is a "manage attachments" button, which allows you to browse for photos on your computer, add them on a list, and then download them to your reply page.

If that doesn't work email them to dave at woodenpropeller.com and I can process them.

Comment

Photos compressed and reduced in size are attached.

The hub shows clear "witness marks" showing that it was once mounted on an engine and subsequently removed, in this case likely to conversion to a metal props, which was common.

Attached Files

Comment

What a lovely prop: superb condition, original, unmolested and definitely flown.

Comment

I’ve had it for a long time. I’ve always wanted to find out more about it. Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Do you know what the value might be on a prop like this one? Would be interesting to know. Thanks again.

Comment

You can check eBay for "completed listings" to see actual sales of similar ones. S&S props are quite common, and my guess is that it would sell for something in the $500 to $1000 range. As a collector I'd be offering the lowest end of that range.

Comment

There are several Airspeed Oxford propellers on eBay at the moment, including an almost identical one to this example. Asking prices range between £1000 and £2000. At risk of stating the obvious, it’s not how much you ask that determines the value but what somebody is willing to pay....

Comment

That's why searching "Completed Items" is the only reliable indicator of market value, and even that is inconsistent. Here's one for a Gypsy Moth that sold for a little over $500:

In the U.S. there's one for sale for $12,000 but it's been listed there for over a year, I think. But it does have the effect of misleading unknown buyers and sellers into overly inflated values, IMHO.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X