Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique/Vintage Sensenich Propeller-Wooden/72inches/PICS-Need Help w/ID & Appraisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique/Vintage Sensenich Propeller-Wooden/72inches/PICS-Need Help w/ID & Appraisal

My late uncle was an avid aeronautical enthusiast and purchased many things during his life. Unfortunately he lost his life while flying a kit plane that he purchased in 1995. He was also a f-4 phantom jet mechanic in Vietnam, primarily stationed in Da Nang. He is truly missed.

This is one of two propellers that I inherited from him. It is in beautiful condition, for being so old. It looks like it could be bolted on the nose of a prop plane today and used.

It is a Sensenich propeller. It's length is 72 inches. It has the numbers "1" and "2" on either side of the center hole of the prop. It also has the serial number "T 9338" written above the center hole. The width from the exterior of the center hole to the edge is 2 inches. the diameter of the complete senter hole is 6 inches. It has metallic leading exterior leading edges that look riveted or "fake" riveted. They are painted green.

Since I cannot figure out how to resize the digital camera pictures to allow this website to accept them, I am attaching the link to the ebay auction that I started for it. I have more pictures that i can send also. I am interested in finding out what prop it is for and what was the year of its construction. I have looked through a serial number guide for older Sensenich propellers and cannot find a corresponding match. I am also interested in an appraisal of it, as I am interested in selling it. Thank you for any help you can give me and if you send me your email address i can send more pictures and of different angles. Thanks!

ebay Item number: 140400524977

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140400524977

There are usually drawing numbers stamped on the prop which identify its use. In their absence, all you can say is that it is a "typical" Sensenich prop used on a variety of small engined trainers in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, such as Piper Cubs, Luscombes, etc. etc. Yours has the new style Lancaster decals (vs. the older "Lititz" style) and certainly appears to have re-painted tips, all of which reduce its value.

Without being critical, I think you're overly optimistic about its BuyItNow value (which doesn't matter because I think as soon as it's gotten a bid, that option goes away, unless you have a reserve) and are way off on the shipping. I just sold a similar one on eBay for another person for $375, which is about what I expected it would get, and shipping from Pittsburgh to Iowa via UPS was $47. A similar sized metal propeller shipped to Virginia from Pittsburgh for $25 via UPS.

I just downloaded your pics from eBay and uploaded below.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave; 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM.
    Dave

Comment

Usually one can look up the approximate date of manufacture of a Sensenich wooden prop by using the link on the www.modernwoodenpropellers.com website to Sensenich's website. However, Sensenich is in process of revising their web pages and this information is no longer online. I recently spoke to them and requested the list which I will add to the modern wooden prop website as soon as I receive it.

Lamar

Comment

Actually, Lamar, I made a paper copy of those and just copied them in .pdf form and uploaded it to woodenpropellers.com. Feel free to link to it or upload it directly to your site.

http://woodenpropeller.com/Sensenichdates.pdf

Hopefully Sensenich will add it back to theirs in the near future.
        Dave

Comment

Good for you Dave! Thank you. For the moment at least I'll link to your website.

Lamar

Comment

Thanks alot.

I really appreciate the help. I ended the ebay auction early and I am going to go over the prop with a magnifying glass looking for that other number that you refer to. I will post the new ebay sale page on here as soon as I complete it. Again, thank you for the information.

-B

Comment

If you're interested, we have a page about packing and shipping propellers on the web site, and I would expect a prop that size to ship within the 48 states for under about $75 via UPS or FEDEx Ground. Ebay buyers are understandably suspicious of items with unusually high shipping fees, and in fact I think eBay even has some measures to prevent shipping overcharges.
              Dave

Comment

Dear Sir

The propeller is actually stamped as I have said before in the earlier post. The stamp reads "T-9338". I am going to relist the item on ebay and hopefully I can get somewhere in the neighborhood of what your friend got for that propeller. It looks to be in better condition than the one you sold for him, which hopefully would increase its' ornamental value.

Does ebay normally charge 9.00 to put a price reserve on items? That just seemed ridiculous when I was listing the propeller before. Again, thanks for your help and also for posting your ebay auction of the similar propeller, it has helped me tremendously.

-B

Comment

Originally posted by BPhillips View Post
                  Does ebay normally charge 9.00 to put a price reserve on items? That just seemed ridiculous when I was listing the propeller before. -B
                  Yes, that's an automatic charge so it happens "normally". There are no humans deciding much of anything on that site. Personally, for a propeller like that I would avoid a reserve fee altogether. The chances are very high that it will end up with a reasonable high bid because of the sheer volume of interested bidders, and the bidders typically are more interested when they see a low opening bid and no reserve. Often you won't see much activity until the last minute or so of the auction.

My experience is that if you provide a good and accurate description and good photos, plus a low opening bid and no reserve, you will end up selling it at something very close to a "market" price. More importantly , it's rarely below that but occasionally goes way above it. (Again, when you place a reserve value on it, if people watch it meet that reserve they then assume you knew its actual value, and bidding doesn't tend to continue beyond that.)
                  Dave

Comment

ok

thanks for the ebay advice. I will not list a reserve. It is a complete waste of money. I also see that they have a forum here on this site for selling propellers. Do you think I should also try to sell my propeller here? Maybe more people will see it because people attracted to this site are probably slightly interested in propellers.

But I guess the serial stamp number does not help you in helping me id it? "T-9338'. I have searched the internet and the guides i found here and found no match. As you have said, it is very important to provide an accurate and extensive description and if I could just ID the thing from the serial, I would be one happy camper. Thanks again for any help.

-Bryant

Comment

I would give up on trying to identify it more accurately than you have and just list it as accurately as you can. Someone may ask if there are other numbers stamped on it so you can just answer no.

You'll get far more interested buyers on eBay than you will here, I think. I don't think our buying/selling category gets much activity, and I've thought about just removing it.
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X