Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Ebay listing: Wolseley-VipOr (not Viper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Ebay listing: Wolseley-VipOr (not Viper)

What do the experts think of this "trench art" propeller hub clock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-1-...-/121022625111

Note that in the 4th photo and referred to in the listing, the propeller is stamped "WOLSELEY VIPOR" (not Viper). Was someone new at the factory stamping station on the day this was produced, making it an authentic misprint? Or was the bad spelling a more recent attempt to fool us?

I'm also very doubtful that the clock came from an instrument panel, as claimed by the seller.

It certainly looks like it's authentic as far as the stampings go, and it wasn't the slightest bit unusual to have various mis-stampings appear on some propellers from that era. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but it's not a reason to discount it as authentic. I'm not at home to look up the drawing number but assume that it's also correct. Ironically, they got the often misspelled "Wolseley" correct and missed the "viper".

Not sure about the clock, but I suspect Bob Gardner can fill you in on those details.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave for the quick response. I wonder if mis-spelled stampings might add collectible "value" to an otherwise ordinary hub, similar to the way that mis-struck coins and mis-printed stamps are prized? But as ever, there's no predicting what someone will be prepared to pay.

Do you have any pictures of other mis-spelled examples to share?

(I was just wondering about the value; I'm going to pass on bidding on this particular item).

Comment

Personally, I don't think they're worth very much, with or without the mis-spelling.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X